New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester or Sako
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a near new model 70 classic featherweight in 7mm WSM that shoots very well . Have an opportunity to buy a Sako AV (L61R) in 7mm Remington magnum with 150 shots thru it and near perfect condition . Changeover is about $300 .
What would you do ?

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a wsm/saum fan, but having said that these are the facts as I seen 'em.

Your model 70 is worth 30% less than what yoy paid for it. An older Sako, like the pre-64 model 70s, will always be worth $600-$1000. The older (pre model 75) Sako is, and always has been, a tack driver. That can't be said about the model 70 as even Jack O'Connor chose to re-stock some of his beloved model 70s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your aware of the differences between the CRF and the pushfeed I am sure.

Me I would jump on the chance to get out of a WSm and old Sako's are fine rifles, and I would rather have the 7mm Rem Mag chambering anyway. If the condition of the Sako is as you stated go for it.

Are you talking US dollars or Aussie dollars?

And one really last question which rifle do you like better? Go for the one you like, and I would check your values, I am not checking bluebook prices but a couple of hundred dollars difference is more in line, I am figuring your Winchester is worth $500, which means the Sako is $800 or there abouts, see if you can whittle a tad more dollars out of this deal, as I think the Sako is no bargin at that, and 50 or 100 would make a better deal for you.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
I have a near new model 70 classic featherweight in 7mm WSM that shoots very well . Have an opportunity to buy a Sako AV (L61R) in 7mm Remington magnum with 150 shots thru it and near perfect condition . Changeover is about $300 .
What would you do ?

I had a custom made up on a 61 in .375. I would pay twice $300 to get it in a M70! What a mistake that was.

I would much rather have a WSM than any belted case for the accuracy and the positive headspacing.

If I had a good shooting rifle I would not trade it anyway for an unknown one.

The stocks on the rifles could be a significant part of their value. If either has a "keeper" meaning a stock thats not just chopper material or injection molded landfill then you won't have to replace it down the road.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Sako is the one.

If I could find them, I would have a safe full of Sako AV fiberclasses.

Even a Sako 75 is still better than a Pre-anything M70.

The Finns now how to build a rifle.

Don't bitch, show me a new M70 that's a half inch rifle out of the box.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Finns now how to build a rifle.
Roll Eyes

I will be back on this one as time is short.

However just consider all the Sako SS rifles that just blew up and ripped fingers off!

Join the NRA

<JOHAN>
posted
Bushchook

Trade!! Cool

Cheers
/JOHAN

D99- It's better to have 30 mauser rifles than one piece of IKEA junk. Best safety is a trained marksman Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you just like the fun of acquiring new (to you) rifles, and have $300 lying about, trade if you want to.

For myself, I'd have to analyse what the Sako will do for me that the Winchester won't, before I'd put out an extra $300.

Neither Winchesters nor Sako's are commonly junk. Occasionally either can be.

I must admit I have had more luck with Winchesters, particularly in terms of out of the box accuracy and reliable triggers, but have never had one of either brand which I would be afraid to hunt hoofed game with. If I bought another couple of dozen, my experience might be exactly the opposite of what I've encountered so far.

Shouldn't be too hard to just sit down, identify what you want to do with the rifle, and then determine the ideal features for such an application. Then rate the two as to their having those features.

Or, just go with whichever emotionally appeals most to you. It's YOUR decision. There is no "right"or "wrong" if it makes you happy...so long as no one's life or safety depends on a particular feature which one has and the other doesn't.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako. The value is going up, they shoot straight and feel good.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted Hide Post
SAKO! Very Very nice! I will say that I feel you should at least own one M70 style action rifle in your lifetime. Both are classics.

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

However just consider all the Sako SS rifles that just blew up and ripped fingers off!

Or think about how Winchester spent 30 years selling an inferior product all in the name of saving a few bucks. thumbdown

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldCenterChurch:
quote:

Or think about how Winchester spent 30 years selling an inferior product all in the name of saving a few bucks. thumbdown

30 you jest, they haven't made a decent rifle since 63. USRAC isn't Winchester!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't bitch, show me a new M70 that's a half inch rifle out of the box.

My M70 Classic 7mm WSM is quite accurate. Don't think it's always a 1/2" rifle but maybe it is.

Here is a Sako thats over 1/2" for the most part!

Join the NRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
(L61R)

Savage, whats your point on Sako's? Your comparing an old Sako, to a new production, not the same gun at all. Kinda like comparing a 1942 Ford couple to a Pinto, yeah they were both made by the same manufacturer, thats where the similarities end.

The old sako's were good guns, a tad on the heavy side for me, and the stocks were never my favorites, a little square and blocky for my tastes.

Question I have is that a Bofors steel barrel on that L61R? That is good steel and Sako used and marked them that way. I don't think your going to find one of those barrels and actions, blown up into a box of ruined parts. EDIT: And I beat that is going to be directly traceable to an idiot behind the trigger.

If that Bofors steel is problematic, there are a whole lot of militaries that are in serious shit as their artillary and main tanks guns are made by them.

In my mind this is a problem that never existed. The Berreta owned Sako rifles are completly different than the old Sako's, I wouldn't be concerned at all, with this issue.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The rifle pictured was a new M75 as I remember it. Sako had a run of rifles with bad steel that came apart on a couple people a year or so ago. The have the problem fixed now I hope, at least they`ve took steps to recall and fix it.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako had a contract with another company to supply them with the barrel steel. It was a single batch of steel that had the problems. It has been resolved. Over a year ago in fact. I'm not sure how many rifles they recalled, but it wasn't many. I think the Model 75 is every bit as good as the older models. The only thing I disliked about them was the integrated locking system which, by the way, has been discontinued.

I hate that the barrel episode happened to a company that has never forsaken quality and workmanship like so many other firearm makers have. BUT, it did. So, they'll have to keep on turning out high quality rifles until everyone loses those pictures.

WAR EAGLE!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys .
The fact that some model 75 Finnlites blew up is irrelevant . The model I'm looking at (AV) was built earlier .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote