Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New CZ 550 modifications
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering about a few proposed modifications to a CZ 550 in 375 H&H. Has anyone bent the factory bolt handle or gotten a new one altogether? If so, what did you use? Also, did you keep the factory barrel as I have heard it is quite accurate. If you did keep it, how did you deal with the factory rear sight sytem; did you stay with it or have to make any changes?

I am looking to buy a CZ as the basis for a project. Incidentally, I held the Ruger African 375 today and was not all that impressed; the forestock was very thin, the recoil pad was tiny and the whole thing reminded me of any other Ruger rifle in basically any other standard chambering. Of course, I have not fired it nor used it on game so my initial impressions are just that - initial.

At any rate, thanks for the feedback on the CZ.

Posts: 8 | Location: Maine | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scroll down and click on page four I believe the answer to your bolt question is on this page. Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all that you want to do to that CZ, just buy a winchester Classic in .375 and go hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you really have to do anything to the CZ unless you want to, other than add crossbolt(s) if it comes without, and maybe glass bed - I personally would do the latter even on a 375.

If you are looking for a project, there are lots of cosmetic things and a couple of functional ones you can do with the CZ. I am doing that right now - if I can find a new photohost I will post some progress pictures. Basically, you can thin and shorten the stock, change the cheekpiece configuration if that is what you like, shorten the barrel and change the front sight, and rework the bolt handle (either straighten and fill the hole or cut off and weld on a Talley). Do you have to do this? No, I don't think so - my Rigby shot fine from the box, and in the time I have had it has never misfeed or miscycled. I personally think the rear sight is fine, although likely to require adjusting to your preferred load.

For the price you get a lot of rifle - the converse is, for the price, don't expect an original Jefferies.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
there are lots of cosmetic things and a couple of functional ones you can do with the CZ. I am doing that right now - if I can find a new photohost I will post some progress pictures. Basically, you can thin and shorten the stock, change the cheekpiece configuration if that is what you like, shorten the barrel and change the front sight, and rework the bolt handle (either straighten and fill the hole or cut off and weld on a Talley).

and lose the shroud, replace with a Lapour.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote