New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06AI or .358 Norma Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What to do with an 8mm mauser? Will eventually go elk hunting one day, in the meantime I would like to have at least one larger bore gun just because. Any opinions? Maybe a second barrel for the .358 Norma?

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
If you are a handloader, I heartily recommend the .358 Norma Mag.

You can use cheap pistol bullets for practice ammo. The range of bullet weights is impressive too: 110 grains to 310 grains.

If you are not a handloader, I'd go with the .338 Win Mag.

There is little meaningful difference between the 2 I mention above within normal (i.e. 300m) hunting ranges.

pb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a plain 8mm-06. I have my own 338 wildcat (similar to the 338 Gibbs) a 338Wmag and a 358 Norma. I use the wildcat the most. The 338 Wmag will give you nice factory ammo options. 358 Norma ammo is expensive and hard to find. If you reload the cost will be pretty close to the same with 358 brass being 3-4 times more expensive. Out to 200 yds there is not much difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, make sure that your 8mm Mauser has no particular value in its original condition that would be sacrified by alterations.

Assuming that to be the case, going with the 8mm/06 or improved version thereof would be far, far simpler and cheaper. All it takes is rechambering the existing barrel. If you can find a gunsmith who already has the proper reamer on hand, he might do this for as little as $50 (but more is not unreasonable).

On the other hand, building a .358 Norma requires a new barrel ($200+), chambering, fitting, and bluing the new barrel (another $200), opening the action bolt face, replacing the magazine follower, and milling open the feed rails (a delecate and easily botched job). All of this will cost you more than a brand new rifle in .338, so what's the point? You've still got a reworked military surplus rifle that won't bring the price of the new barrel alone in resale.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
First, make sure that your 8mm Mauser has no particular value in its original condition that would be sacrified by alterations.

Assuming that to be the case, going with the 8mm/06 or improved version thereof would be far, far simpler and cheaper. All it takes is rechambering the existing barrel. If you can find a gunsmith who already has the proper reamer on hand, he might do this for as little as $50 (but more is not unreasonable).

On the other hand, building a .358 Norma requires a new barrel ($200+), chambering, fitting, and bluing the new barrel (another $200), opening the action bolt face, replacing the magazine follower, and milling open the feed rails (a delecate and easily botched job). All of this will cost you more than a brand new rifle in .338, so what's the point? You've still got a reworked military surplus rifle that won't bring the price of the new barrel alone in resale.

I agree wholeheartedly with Stonecreek, but I would like to add one (or two) things.

Opening up the magazine to accept O.A.L. cartridges of 3.34" or perhaps slightly longer is very easily accomplished with a mill file and perhaps a touch off of the bolt stop.

By taking the rear magazine wall down to about .060" thickness and taking as much from the front as one can, perhaps .015", will give you about 3.38" of usable magazine length.

This will only take @ most a few hours and it will allow more vesatility with heavier bullets.

Have the person doing your chamber "throat" for this longer O.A.L.

An 8mm-06 or the 8mm-06 A.I. will be right in the 300 Win Mag league when loaded to 60k.

I have been able to get 3000fps with the 8mm 180gr Nosler Bt and 2800fps with the 200gr Nosler Par from an 8mm-06 A.I. with the 23 1/2" military barrel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62. No feeding issues. Dangerous game capability.

Hard to beat

Rod Rogers
Author & Angler
rod@mountainofdreams.com

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rod_Serengeti:
9.3x62. No feeding issues. Dangerous game capability.

Hard to beat

But it will require a rebarrel.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, i am having the smith take a look at it, see if the barrel is worth using, if so I will probably end up with an 8mm-06 AI. Still, the .358 and 9.3x62 look awfully tempting. I guess though a nice CZ would take care of that itch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can make brass for the 358 norma by resizing 338 WM brass. So, brass expense would be minimal.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 358 Norma or 338 is one heck of a round either way and much better than an 8mm06 any way you cut it...

I love and use the .338 and it will always be my choice, but the 358 Norma is every bit as good and maybe a bit better..I know it kills big animals like the hammer of Thor...but the .338 is probably as good and components etc are more readly available and cheaper by a good deal...

The 9.3x62 us another great caliber, but the 338 and 358 leave it in the dust balistically and when the ranges get longer...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVBlue:
Well, i am having the smith take a look at it, see if the barrel is worth using, if so I will probably end up with an 8mm-06 AI. Still, the .358 and 9.3x62 look awfully tempting. I guess though a nice CZ would take care of that itch.

The 8mm-06 or the Acley Improved version is an excellent choice if you want to use an otherwise good barrel.

It leaves nothing to the 338-06 as it can drive similar weight bullets @ similar velocity @ least up to 220grs.

A 200gr Nosler Partition @ 2800fps will handle any shot situation you are likely to encounter when hunting Elk. It will retain more than 2000ft lbs of energy past 300yds and will shoot point blank (+ or- 4") @ those ranges.

If you have a good barrel, it should shoot under MOA .(mine shot 3/4" groups @ 100yds) I would advise against "turning the steps out" as it seems to impart some stress into the barrel.

There would be nothing to gain from going to 338-06 if the 8mm barrel is good. Going to one of the magnums would gain ballisticly, but then you would have more in the gun than a new CZ.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Stay w/ the 06 based case & rebarrel to .338-06, .35whelen or the 9.3x62. If you want a .358NM, I would buy a used .300 or .338mag & rebarrel that.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Well, if the smith says the barrel is ok, I will go the 8mm-06AI. If not, I will try the .358 Norma Mag. But, you guys have really got me wanting a .358 Norma Mag, so if I do end up with an 8mm-06AI, I believe I will have to start another project. Feel free to send me an old beat up .338 or .300 to help me get started.

Thanks guys I appreciate the information.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WVBlue:
Smiler

Well, if the smith says the barrel is ok, I will go the 8mm-06AI.

I think you will be impressed with this round.

As I said it will do anything the 338-06 will do and there are many more bullets to choose from IF you do some looking. And you won't have to waste a good barrel! (or go the expense of a new one)

If done properly the original barrel will deliver as much hunting accuracy as needed, perhaps better than the run of the mill "factory" barrel.

180 gr Balistic tips like relatively fast powders such as IMR 4064, Varget, Vv N550, etc.

200 gr Partitions seem to work well with the "medium slow" powders such as IMR 4350, Vv N560, etc.

With these powder and bullet combinations I have been able to get "compressed" load densities to work without pressure signs and with low SD sometimes in the 10-15fps range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently rechambered my 8mm-06 Ackley to get rid of excessive throat from a previous installation and now have a 25 1/8" MRC barrel. I bought a new chronograph because my old one was showing some high readings. When all is said and done, here are my workable velocities:

200g Nosler or Speer--2956 fps
185g Remington PSPCL--2918 fps
195g Hornady----------2979 fps
180g ballistic tip----3084 fps
175g Sierra-----------3193 fps

This barrel is throated for a maximum OAL of 3.320 with the ballistic tip. What a great, underappreciated and underrated cartridge.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is if you are going to do a .358, go on to the top and do a .358 STA, and quit horsing around. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote