Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying Feed Rails
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I just re-barreled a Post-64, push-feed Model 70 magnum action to .404 Jeffrey. Of course, the rifle won't feed properly from the magazine although I have replaced the magazine box and follower with factory replacements meant for the .375 H & H. I'm very pleased the way it shoots and have not had to alter the bolt face for either re-formed .375 RUM cases, .404 Norma or .404 BELL cases. My question is, does anyone on the forum know of a 'smith in the Florida area or just one he would definately recommend for feed rail work? I could file/grind/polish little by little but am afraid of screwing the whole works up. HELP!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
In most cases with a conversion to a rum cartridge the problem with the case poping out before it gets into the chamber is in the feed ramp. the correction is very simple. You will need to widen the feed ramp to be as wide as the front of your feed rails. With the feed ramp in original form the shoulder of the case hits it and is bumped out because the ramp is too narrow for the shoulder. You can use a dremmel grinder to WIDEN ONLY. Don't change the ramp in any other way, just open up the width so the shoulder will lay in it. thumb

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. That does occur when the second round (of three) attempts to feed from the left side of the magazine. The primary problem is that the first and last round bind on the forward right hand lip of the magazine rails about halfway out of the magazine. It doesn't bind on the rim (where the extractor groove is) but on the body of the case just aft of the shoulder.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .404's case is wider than the .375 H&H. Your magazine will need to be wider. Start there before hacking up your action.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Remington uses the same style and size mag box as the 375H&H with windows cut in it to allow the cases to spread out wide allowing the 3rd RUM case to enter the mag. Masterrifleman already is feeding 3 out of the mag box. The problem is when the shoulder hits the narrow feed ramp it bumps the case to the side causing it to pop out. With the feed ramp wide enought to accept the shoulder (hence making it as wide as the front portion of the feed rail openning) the case can feed straight in instead of being pushed to the side. One needs to follow the lines of the front portion of the feed rails up into the feed ramp. Not to modify the feed rail at all, just continue the line from the rails up into the feed ramp. It solved all my woes converting all my RUM rifles from std. magnums. It really is the only mod the rifleman needs to make to get depenable feeding from his Model 70. beer

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This ain't no model 700 though is it?

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
No, Post-64 Model 70 Winchester.

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
No it isn't a 700. Is that Model 70 belt fed like the m60 mg? Last time I looked it still functioned the same way. If it makes you happy tell masterifleman to replace the new mag box. troll lol

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.