New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Tell me about the Brevex Mag. Mauser Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Granite Mountain has a .750" bolt body diameter. Isn't the Brevex 0.700"? Plus the GM is a square bridge action, making it more desirable than a Brevex on 2 counts.

As for the Brevex action for sale in the link in the first post in this thread, $4500 is way too much, as you would have trouble selling it for half that these days. Also note the holes...

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006 - Sorry, I did not see a price on your rifle. I was referring to the action in the original post, which supposedly has a Wisner extractor. I'm not knocking the Brevex (or Jim's extractors), just making an observation.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The first 460 Weatherbys were made on Brevex actions:

My 416 Rigby, originally a 338-378KT by Champlin & Haskins (bottom rifle):

Bottom rifle is a 510/460Wby, which I will sell very reasonably. Could be upgraded or made into a 416, 460, etc.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are made for such calibers as the 505, 416 Rigby and 500 Jefferys among others...It is a huge old Mauser type action made in France...Like everything else in France it is counterfiet...They fetched big prices in the USA at one time, but the advent of some of the new large Mauser actions have pretty well left them expensive only in the minds of their owners who paid those big bucks...
Also there were at one time a lot of bad Brevex actions floating around and also some fake Brevexes around, so be carefull if you purchase one....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently looking at a used rifle that is built from a Brevex Mag. Mauser action. I know little of the

action other than it was produced in limited numbers in the 50's.

What can you tell me about the Brevex?

How well are these actions made? Tolerances, fit & finish etc....My understanding is that they are best quality. How do they differ from the original Mauser 98 design? Any notable improvements or feature changes? What about quirks or potential problems? What sort of steel is the Brevex made from and how is it heat treated........case or through hardened?

The only decent pics I could find of a Brevex is on Dressels website. It surely looks like a BIG action!

Brevex Action

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote