New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a rifle on a model 70 action.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just working out the final details on building a new rifle based on a left hand chrome-moly Model 70 action. Here is what I have in mind so far.

The said left hand action with necessary modifications and improvements as deemed necessary by the very capable gunsmith who is putting the rifle togethor. This includes retention of the trigger group with the trigger pull set between 3 and 3.75lbs (whatever is safe). A chrome-moly cut rifled barrel built here in Alberta. Williams super grade trigger guard mated with their steel floor plate held to the action with Allen head guard screws built from scratch by Jim Baiar. Spring steel extractor by Jim Wisner. The barreled action bedded with Aluminum pillars into a left hand Super Grade stock from McMillan, and the magazine spring will most likely be replaced as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on where I might improve or modify the above arrangement?

Chuck

[ 10-15-2003, 05:21: Message edited by: Chuck Nelson ]

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out the cost/desirability of the Wichita swivel stud set up. I believe they must be installed during the course of molding the Mcmillan stock. [Big Grin]

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you are killing me..

what round?

my only suggestion would be iron sights...
jeffe

Posts: 39566 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7MM REM MAG. My dad has shot one for years all the while telling me it was "the" cartridge to shoot. So I swore I would never own one. Now I am afraid I won't hear the end of it. Oh well.

As far as the iron sights, I plan on a matching .338 WIN or .375 H&H in the future that will probably wear such an arangement.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote