New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Conversion Question for the Gunsmiths
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently sold a couple of rifles and am in the market for a 300 wtby. I saw a new Winchester Classic model 70 with a 26" bbl in 300 Win Mag. The only other model 70's that were available in 300 wtby had 24" bbls and were discontinued some years ago. This new rifle had a very slick action and the fit was nice. My question is what would it take to convert this to a 300 wtby. Can it be done by just reaming or is there a fair amount of metal work involved. I already load for my nephews 300 wtby so to keep matters simple I would like another for myself. Thanks in advance.
Ralph

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had one built not long ago that's kind of the same. On a M70 Classic, I went from a 7Rem mag to a 300 H&H. The .300 H&H and .300 Weatherby are very close to the same size, as are the 300 Win mag and the 7mm Rem mag, so I'm sure this will need to be done to your action as well.

1. There is a spacer in the back of the magazine that will need to be drilled out. This will give a total of 3.60" in the magazine after the spacer is gone.

2. The bolt stop will need to shortened the same amount as the magazine spacer you removed so when you cycle the bolt, it will go back far enough to pick up the next round out of the magazine.

3. you'll need a new (longer) follower. The one that's in there now has too much play in the modified magazine, it'll bind. Order one for a .375 H&H, it's good fit.

4. On mine (yours may not need this)the ejector had to be shortened just a bit (0.05-0.10)so I could eject loaded rounds without the bullet tips hitting the front action ring during ejection. It wasn't bad, but the lead tip of the bullet would get slightly bent.

As for the barrel, I bet it could be rechambered. being a different caliber, mine had to be replaced.
I hope I've shed a little light on your project. Maybe the real gunsmith's will help with the rechamber part of your question.

Terry

[ 07-19-2003, 05:50: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ralph,

Yes a qualified should be able to rechamber the rifle with the 300 wtby.

1. Weatherby cases are roughly 100 thousandths longer than the Winchester Mag case.

2. The Weatherby case diameter right behind the shoulder is .4920 and the Winchester case diameter right behind the shoulder is .4891.

As far as the dimensions of the case it will work. But I am not sure as far as the box magazine. It is a long action and should be able to handle the case with no problem. You may be able to change the box or knock out the spacer like TC1 mentioned. I have never chambered a Winchester action but have done about a dozen Weatherby actions. Good luck.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote