Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Bolt action for 250-3000
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

tiggertate,

The Chas. Daly Mini Mauser seems like its just the ticket for the .250/3000. They sell it in 7.62x39 so maybe the box can be stretched a bit. I dropped a 250/3000 shell in a Mex model 1910 box and there's a lot of room left in it. Its made for a 57mm case.

I also have a Rem model 7 rebbl'd. to 250/3000 with a Douglas 21" XX thats just about perfect , but its no mauser, especially a Kurz by any stretch. Take a peek at Champlins site , an original Kurz is listed for $6K.

Just for price guide I got a quote from a ACGG smith that worked on the #18 custom sporter and he starts at $900. to shorten or lengthen Mauser actions.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mexican Mauser will work fine, but I believe it is a large ring short action, not a small ring..

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
I would think that one could easily shorten the remington model 7 a bit to make it just right for the 250 savage. I have a couple of photographs sent to me many years ago by a fellow from out in california (I forget his name but he now makes big bore doubles) and those photos depict his work at actually turning remington actions into controlled feed actions that look just like the model 70 winchester. So I would think that same work could be done to a model 7 after it had been shortened to 250 savage length.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glen, they are available (and they are a small ring) but not in the numbers and prices they used to be. I bought quite a few at $40, should have gotten a car load.

Blue may be right but the last price I heard for shortening an action was well over $1k and that was a while ago, from Pete Grisle (sp?).

Here is one I am getting ready to stock.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since trade has resumed with Czechsolvakia? the Mark X mini mauser action, as already stated, should fill the bill.My supplier hasn't recieved restock yet, but promises.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, guys. The Mini Mk-X may be the way to go, though it will likely require some 'smithing.
Chic - That Mexican is pretty! Are those Mark Stratton's bases or someone else's?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Ray,

I'm surpirsed that you forgot your SR and LR Mexicans.

Early last year you saw my '36 Mex with the 03 type

cocking piece and the lt. wt 26" bbl. in .257 Rbts. at

JB's shop. He said you thought it was cute and offered to
buy it.

Chalk it up to a senior moment, I have so many during the
day, I just forget about it.

Chick:
Nice mounts who made 'em ?

Be well.

Bob

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Ray,
the 24 is a an intermidiate large ring, and butt ugly,
the 1910 and 1936 are small ring/smallring short actions.

even a turk or z vz 24 would be great
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The Mini mauser isn't the action I'd recommend for the .250-3000...it's intended primarily for the .223 and the .250-3000 has a far larger case head than that.

Quote:

The guy that did the job was Ron Lampert here in Minnesota, although I am told that he is now retired.

I was fortunate enough to know Ron personally and he showed me some tricks of his trade. He is the finest 'smith I've ever met in my life...a artist with a tig torch and his hand finishing is outstanding. I last saw him years ago and didn't know he was still alive. If you can talk him into shortening a mauser, I assure you that he was the "best" at one time.....and probably still is. He helped me chamber my 1917 Enfield to .375 H&H in Fridley MN back in the '70s...a true friend and an artist with a mauser. He had a more complete machine shop than some tool and die companys...

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vapodog,

On that Chas. Daly Mini-Mauser they state that the bolt face is .453 and the mag length is 2.37
Is there not enough meat on the bolt face to open it up a little to .473 ? They even state on their spec. page that the action would fit a .22/250. Maybe a typo error. It would seem just the right size, wishful thinking.
I have never seen a Mini so relying on your expertise on this.
Thanks for your help.

Be well

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife, Olivia, doesn't like heavy rifles. She thinks a 7mm08 has to much recoil and muzzle blast. Backed into a corner, I recently acquired a titanium SA 700 and fit a M70 style FWT barrel to it, chambered in 250-3000. 21 inches long. We'll marry this to super slender Bastogne Cheetah stock and hope for a miracle.

This little rig shot, mounted in a trial stock, its first four into 3/8 inch, so we're off to a good start.

Posts: 106 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Kimber M84?

John

Posts: 101 | Location: The Big Country | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
They're not Mausers, but I believe that the 250-3000 would fit in either a Sako L579 or AII perfectly. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate to have two mini mausers...the diameter of the bolt is only .545...remove .473 for the .250-3000 and the walls are about 1/32' thick.....add to this the amount you must open up the feed rails.....

The lugs are also extremely small.....I'd never attempt a .22-250 or a .250-3000 in one of these actions.

I wish more folks would chime in here.....

I just visited the website of ChasDaly and they do in fact list the minimauser in .22-250...but they also list the boltface as .453 for it....further there are other blatant errors in their barrel length (less than an inch) etc...

I strongly suspect there's some serious errors at CD on this issue.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou - Actually, a Sako was my first thought. Thanks for bringing it up.
Vapodog - Thanks for the info on the Mini-Mauser.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suppose you wouldn't want to search for a Remington Classic that was chambered for it? I have one and really like it.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Vapodog,

thanks for the information, I guess the Mini Mauser would be perfect for a 6x45.

I emailed CD about their spec's on thir web site, no reply yet.

Ron,

let us know when its finished and what it's weigth is all scoped up.
Thanks to all.

Be well,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up....I have not used the Mexicans in quite a long time and forgot they come both ways SR and LR...I have always used the G33-40 SRs for my guns, but they sure have dried up lately....There used to be a guy in San Antonio, Texas that I bought a lot of 1910s from, He was at all the big gun shows in Texas, would anyone know who he is...He also had some of the neat 36s that look like a Springfield...

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote