New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK Custom Work Prices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not many places do high end work of the sort that the US customer expects of their gunsmith.

I investigated the price of having my 222 rebarreled to a sporter and bedded in a McMillan. Here it is converted to US$ but not including build time:-

Rebarrel with Shihlen chrome moly polished and blued $1010

Mcmillan Stock ready to fit from$650

Pillar Bed from$850

This is from the best accuracy custom smith but would come with no accuracy guarentees. He is a nice bloke and he has a lot of work - not mine though!

What would this stuff cost in the States? My guess is about half.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
1894 Send it across the pond & I'll do it for a hell of a lot less than that. [Eek!] Those prices seem ridiculous. [Eek!] Less than half those cost would be about right.

[ 12-18-2002, 00:25: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted

I would immagine with the gun laws like they are over there, if you are going to be in the business of repairing them, you had better make your money fast... Shipping to the states can't be that much. Were I you, I'd box it up and ship it over here to the states to have the work done, or, with what you would save, buy a ticket and fly with it.

Malm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been paying $150 to $250 for barrels, plus $100 to have the barrel installed. Glass bedding is $40 extra.

Fit and finish a WOOD stock has been running me $300. Plus pad ($50). A synthetic would cost less. But you have to start with the cost of the stock and add the above labor.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typo on the pillar bed - should read $360.

I am seriously considering trying to get my future 222/223 made up in the US.

Any suggestions on an honourable outfit who can true, slick and quality barrel a mini mauser/short action sako in 222/223. Pillar bed in a McMillan ensuring that the stock to metal finish is custom standard inlet not just bedding into a pre inlet stock?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter not for sure but after sep 11 , it's not easy to send a rifle to repair in the USA , I ask for a barrel replacement on a Garand M1 and no luck to find any gunsmith who can accept it .

Regards

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote