Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth taps
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted
I would like to get some taps for the large and small ring mauser's made for the original 55 degree threads. Where would I find these?

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
England

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
Well I tried googling before the post and got the same links. I would just like to clean up the threads before re-barreling and would like to stick with the original Whitworth threading. It seems that I will have to custom order them.

Is it even any benefit to clean the threads up on a Mauser action since you can not really true them up to the center line?

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Brownelles should have them. I do know they are not cheep though.

And the only thing using a tap would do is just clean up the threads but it will not straighten them in any appreciable way

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Brownelles should have them

I got my Large Ring tap from them, I don't know if they carry one for the Small Ring.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
My guess that the taps from Brownells are for 60 degree threads. I e-mailed the tech folks at Brownells to see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Siam_Krag:
My guess that the taps from Brownells are for 60 degree threads. I e-mailed the tech folks at Brownells to see.

That's what they told me last year when I called.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Try this: Take a take-off barrerl and cut the shank off. Mill 4 or 6 flutes in the threads evenly spaced longitudinal to the bore. Viola! A Whitworth tap for cleaning threads. Mine have been in service for many years.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote