Find
Notify
Tools

1909 Mauser ID Help
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Saw a rifle on the rack in 6.5x284, an old gunsmithing job. Action on left says 1909 Argentine, I saw Modello somewhere on it. It has a very high charger hump on the rear bridge. Part of a large circular crest on the front bridge most covered by a scope base, however, the right side of the front bridge clearly said Peru and I think the left side of the front bridge next to the scope base I think said Mauser. It also had a thumb tang push safety on the right side of the tang. What is it and is it desireable? Thanks.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a 1909 Peruvian. Are you certain it said "Argentine"? On either version, the tang safety would have been a gunsmith add-on.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did it look like this?

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Looking at pictures on the net. It did say Mauser Original on the bottom of the front bridge. Left side of receiver in front of thumb cutout said 1909 Argentine. Should it not say Argentine? Price on the entire rifle is $350. Would it make a good 250-3000 or 257 Roberts or is it a better 30.06 length receiver. Are the Peruvians all they're cracked up to be.

22WRF-yes it looked like that with the tall rear bridge. Can remember what the bolt shroud looked like because it had a tang safety on the right side.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The 1909 Peruvians are very desirable.

But know what you're looking for too.

Butchered tang (common with hacked bolt handle additions), feeding ramp, or buffed with a wheel, feeding rails hacked, etc... Those are - personally - all deal-breakers for me.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Most likely a 1909 Argentine then.
On the left side of the receiver ring it will read:
Mauser Modelo
Argentino 1909

On the left sidewall ahead of the thumbcut it will read:
Deutsche Waffen und
Munitionsfabriken Berlin

A 1909 Peruvian won't have Argentino stamped anywhere on it and will have Oberndorf a/N markings on the left sidewall.

Both are quality actions unless they've been hacked as new-guy points out. The Peruvians are much more scarce and have a higher price tag. The Peruvians are an intermediate length action and are best suited to a cartridge less than 3.2" LOA. The Argentine actions have been safely converted to everything up to and including the 416 Rigby. Personally, I'd stop with a H&H length magnum.

A Peruvian would be perfect for a 250-3000. The 257 Roberts could take better advantage of the additional length offered by the 1909 Argentine.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I will have to take a 2nd look tomorrow. I am pretty sure it said Argentino on it and then Peru on the front receiver ring. Does anyone have a picture of the left side of a Peruvian?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The Peruvian will have the following markings on the left sidewall:
Waffenfabrik Mauser-Oberndorf a/N
Modelo 1909

The Peruvians were made in Oberndorf and the Argentines were made in Berlin. Neither will be marked otherwise and neither should have the other country's name on the action.

The Peruvian has a noticeably higher charger hump and a longer front ring than other M98s (except for the 1903 Turk which looks the same except for the markings).

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
It looked exactly like that 22 wrf. It had a peru crest and mauser original and tall clip slot on the back. Would an Argentino look like the picture above?

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Great pics Forrest and thanks. I think it's the Peruvian but will make sure. It's been blued and buffed some it seems it could be polished and would probably look very nice in the white and waiting for a future project. Other than the tang safety nothing looks hacked and the safety could be an easy fix. For $350 is it worth it? Also what bottom metal fits it, Blackburn or Duane's?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Blackburn or Wiebe M98 bottom metal would work with some modification. The Peruvian has standard hole spacing but because the action opening is not as long, the magazine box will be a little too long towards the front and will require some modification depending on the length of the cartridge you choose.

It's certainly worth $350 provided nothing crazy has been done to it and everything is crisp. Try to get a look below the woodline; Peruvians are notorious for pits below the wood.

One more note of caution, if the action has been properly configured to handle and feed a 6.5X284, the rails may have been opened too much in the front for a 250-3000. Ask the seller if you can run a magazine full of 250-3000 cartridges through the action to check feeding.

Let us know how things turn out.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Love the Mauser photos, guys.

Thanks for the question and the answers.

Anyone who doesn't learn something on every visit to this site is not paying attention.

thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because no one else has mentioned it, Peruvians are often found to be badly pitted below the wood line.
Bring a closely fitting screwdriver with you and make sure you are allowed to inspect it out of the wood.

Good luck, I hope it works out. Even if you don't want to use it many here will be glad to take it off your hands.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Well I bought it. It is a Peruvian exactly like the pics above. Doesn't say Argentine anywhere on it but I must have associated Argentine from memory when I saw the 1909. Absolutely no pitting below the woodline. Timney trigger installed with the thumb safety. Bad part is the heavy blueing on the top has filled in most of the crest and only parts are visible. Edges are not very crisp. Left side of the receiver is very clear however. I was thinking of having it ground off anyway during the polishing and clean up process, similar to the Ottmar rifle sans engraving. Good news, I negotiated and got it for $300.

Any recommendations on a smith that can square, polish, grind/stone the action, fit bottom metal, bolt handle, and make some custom bases?

I have a line on a '36 Mexican for a good price too. I know I want a 250-3000 and possibly a 257 Roberts or 7x57. Which action is better suited for the above calibers. Is there a clear advantage one way or the other or is it more preference.

I'll try to snap some pictures of the action over the weekend. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Pre-War, my strong advice would be to leave the Oberndorf markings on the left side and the MAUSER ORIGINAL markings on the front ring. These are a large part of what makes the action so desireable and differentiates the Peruvian from a 1903 Turk action.

The 250-3000 is a drop-in fit for the Mexican and the 7X57 should be a drop-in fit for the Peruvian (but beware my earlier comments about the potential for the 6.5X284 chambering to have messed things up a bit).

As to your question regarding the right gunsmith, there's been lots of good photos posted here recently that should provide some ideas for you. My view is that you should talk with a few qualified gunsmiths until you find one you hit it off with. Working with a friend makes the project so much more enjoyable.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Forrest. The Mauser Original marking on the ring are good, it's the crest that looks messed up a bit. If need be I could have them retraced as all of the letters are still present, just a little shallow. After the blueing comes off they make look much better in the white too. TC1 has a great thread going on his Mexican done by David Christman, I might talk to him about both. Don't have any immediate plans to barrel them, just one the action work done and ready.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 250-3000 is a drop-in fit for the Mexican and the 7X57 should be a drop-in fit for the Peruvian (but beware my earlier comments about the potential for the 6.5X284 chambering to have messed things up a bit).

I picked up a 1909 Peruvian that was somebody's custom" job as the last gun show I went to for $150. The gun looke quite nice andhas a beautifle blue job, Timney trigger, neat bolt hand and 26 line to the inch checkering that was very well done. They did the pistol grip of the gun, but not the forearm. Maybe I'll see if my gunsmith can correct that down the road. Stock is in the European style with schnable tip. Wood is decently figured.
I was hoping to have it rebarreled to 7x57 Mauser, but the magazine for the 7.65 is too short for 160 and 175 gr. bullets. So, the rifle will be a .308 Win with 23" barrel.
I saw it in the white the other day and to say I'm getting very excited about the final result is total understatement.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Paul who is did your action work?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen mauser magazine boxes that have had a small piece of steel welded to the front of the magazine box. A mill was then used to mill out the inside to make the box longer. They look nice and I am told work very well.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Paul, you're absolutely right about the Peruvian in it's original configuration being too short for a 7X57 round. I'm guessing though that if Prewar's new Peruvian has been opened up for a 6.5X284 (3.228 LOA) then it will be plenty long for the 7X57 (3.071 LOA).

one of us
posted Hide Post
The K. D. Fleckenstein book, "Jagdbüchsen..." has a load of Peruvians set-up for 270 Win, 9.3x62, 425 W-R etc. Is it just a new box (and appropriate feed work) to get these to work, or does the action need to be opened up as well?

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post