Find
Notify
Tools

Low profile scope MOUNTS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Ok, so on my Pre-64 M70 I have a set of Talley bases. I really, really like the QD features...

BUT! The BASE itself is just high enough to completely obscure the rear sight blade thus rendering the QD feature pretty much useless on this rifle... (*can't use the iron sights).

Looking at the bases, it appears they could be mounted lower - or shaved down from the underside to make them lower. Before I go that route, is there any such thing as a "low-profile" base that's very thin? About half the thickness of the normal height base?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Before I go that route, is there any such thing as a "low-profile" base that's very thin? About half the thickness of the normal height base?

Sure, the original alloy weavers.

I've also had a groove (more of a trough) milled through a set of steel weavers for the same purpose, to see my iron sights.

Then I gave up and mounted peeps on the rear base and everything was good again.

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Called a custom base.
I can generally get them pretty thin. Like no thicker then .150" on the front ring. But you may run into scope clearance. New rings fixes that though

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Warne Premier bases. I had the same issue on a couple of rifles.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Warne Premier bases. I had the same issue on a couple of rifles.

Almost as low as you can go. There are a VERY few that are lower but IMO none as practical and handsome.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't stand weaver type style or whatever bases.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warne and Leupold both make low profile bases....BUT, since they're "weaver style"....

Talley makes a peep sighted rear base. If you used that you could remove the rear sight and adjust front blade height if needed....

Good luck,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Sorry I know the design is a good one. Based on the Picatiny rail. But Weaver to me means cheep junk no matter who makes them. It's just a thing I have. And to tell you truth Talley's don't look that much better. There is no form or flow to the shape. Just a squared off chunk with a dove tail in it and a ring that is straight walled. Yes slim trim and easy to manufacture. But a wee bit more style would be nice.
Williams machine works makes a damn nice ring. Nice belled ring. Kinda like a Conetroll ring. +Very nice shape. Or Bueler

www.KLStottlemyer.com