New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feedback wanted:
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you’re reading about classic (pre-1940) custom American rifles do you care about the stock measurements? Because it’s a custom rifle the length-of-pull, cast-off, toe-out, drop at comb and drop at heel will be to the customer measurements and will not be important IMO. What about the pistol grip measurements and if they are reported what is the universal language, length from center of trigger to tip of grip? How about lines-per-inch checkering, does anyone care? Your thoughts on this subject are welcome, please tell me what you thought should be included in articles (any author) you have read.

Thanks, mjpetrov@acsalaska.net

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if I were looking to buy it. On the other hand, one might include a mention of lines per inch and anything special regarding a particular pattern for the checkering, and maybe the finish, but measurements? Nope.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to know such things, especially grip dimensions and various dimensions of the butt in relation to the center of the trigger.Also like to know fore arm length and if possible, length of tip, distance the swivel is from fore arm tip, etc. I may be weird, but I like to compare what I make with other guns that either "do it for me" or "don't do it for me."

Always tweaking things, plus I am a recovering engineer, so I like such measurements.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mark, that kind of content turns an entertaining "eye-candy" article into something I cut out and file away. Irregardless of the quality of the phiotography, you need those critical measurements if you want to either incorporate a past master's ideas into your own projects or evaluate an arm you have in hand. Even if only presented in a sidebar, technical details elevate the quality of any article or book to another level.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I might can see where that might be of interest to those who like to compare dimensions. I myself would be more interested in the mechanical aspect of the firearm and how it actually performs. But if the writer is being paid by the number or words in the article, then I would definitely support his right to feed his family. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
If I were reading an article about a custom gun, I would like to know the lpi of checkering. It the article, as you detailed, is about an early craftsman, I would like to know details about the grip, not to be able to copy it but to know what he liked to do.

As far as the grip, a good way to detail it is length from the front edge to the center of the trigger, distance from the bore line to the front edge and the place where the plane of the trigger guard intersects the top line of the stock near the heel.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chic,
I'm sure most figured it out but I think you meant the plane of the "grip cap" instead of "trigger guard".

Shane Thompson

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shane you are right ... thanks.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is a history of pre-1940 guns, it would be good to include all of the dimensions and details of the rifles. This would start a log of how the early custom makers worked. I would measure all fine guns that came into our shop to see the measurements. Style shaping of stocks have changed with the classic of today compared to the pre-1940's.

It would be good to add information about the makers from some of us older retired gunsmiths. I know of several makers from Texas that most of you probably have never read about.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote