New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN... [Safety Lever?]
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't care for this style safety and much prefer a two-stage lever instead CRYBABY

The trigger is crisp though Big Grin

Could a lever be installed and get rid of that ugly slide plate bewildered

Just curious as I haven't talked with a smith yet; but I'm probably going to leave it a 30-06 and have it the re-shaped into a stalking rifle of sorts...African-ized if you will...

I bought this from a forum member here awhile back and it doesn't seem it's been shot much at all...

And I wanted to get this rifle profiled sort of like my Rem 798 30-06...I had a smith do this rifle two years ago where he shortened the forend quite a bit and installed an African Ebony Tip and opened up the pistol grip considerably and installed an ebony pistol grip cap...removed the Monte Carlo roll-over and shortened LOP and installed a KickEzz recoil pad..And he lightend up this factory stock considerably in reshaping it and it balances really well...It's easy to come up to the shoulder and swings with ease... Big Grin

He also installed a Timney trigger that's really sweet and buttered the action, jeweled the bolt and blackened the follower, and lapped the scope rings Smiler

He finished it with ProCustom Oil and re-cut the checkering...I did it to commemorate my first African PG Safari in 2008 with my son...

We'll be refinishing his Sako L61R Finnbear 30-06 some day too...

This smith did a fantastic job considering what he had to work with and I'd like the opportunity to enjoy the work of another smith on this one as well...beer and see him try to create some appealing lines too in the very near future... as I scrape up the funds tu2

I'll never be able to afford a full-blown custom on my wages, but fixing up a rifle as such is the next best thing for me...A POOR Man's Custom... rotflmo

Anybody interested in this kind of work here...please send me a PM to discuss...

Thanks!

Excuse the scribble rotflmo

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That stock will probably have too much drop at the comb & heel to be able to use a scope modifing it as your lines show. Better to just go ahead & buy a classic style stock & sell the factory one.
As for the safety yes it's just a matter of money & imagination.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
That stock will probably have too much drop at the comb & heel to be able to use a scope modifing it as your lines show. Better to just go ahead & buy a classic style stock & sell the factory one.

As for the safety yes it's just a matter of money & imagination.

Could you suggest the type/brands of stocks might I to look into to fit this puppy as I have no idea?

I believe this one is a Fajen stock...but yes, I do like a more CLASSIC style for sure and work off that Big Grin

Thanks for whatever you can share or provide a link too...much appreciated!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That is the originsl stock that came on that H&R. you can get stocks at Boyds or Stockys. Those are probably the two most economical places for wood stocks.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Thanks for the heads-up...BUT the more I study the stock, especially the comb and heel I think I may be able to pull it off to my satisfaction by altering the drop somewhat. Wink

I've done only one stock thus far and it came out great and I think I'm going to save this as a special project for me to do down the road...

I'll post pics when I'm done Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a similar job on a mid 50's FN in 300 H&H. It had a high weatherby style roll over cheekpiece, 45 degree rosewood tip. I put it next to my Whiworth stock and could see that the rollover could be whittled away and leave it with basically the same drop as Whitworth. Cut off tip and replaced with ebony. The blank was way too nice to part with, and I ended up please with the result. Far from a custom stock, but a nice using rifle. I replaced the side safety with a FN left side cocking piece safety that allows me to use fairly low rings, so the drop didn;t present a problem. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Far from a custom stock, but a nice using rifle.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for sharing as its really encouraging. I'm just looking for a stock profile that is both functional and pleasing to me too... Wink

It'll be fun to see what I can come up with Big Grin