New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Remington Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which Remington 700 Action would be used for a rebarrel to a 350 Rem Mag. I have a 308 BDL. Would that action work and if so would I need to have bolt work done also?. Just getting the mid life "need a new gun" crisis.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The action would work but the bolt face would need to be opened up. Another thing to consider is the projectiles you are planning to shoot. If I was going to go the route of building one I would use a standard action and have the bolt face opened. This would allow using heaver projectiles.

Posts: 87 | Location: St. Rose, LA USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would most likely be using Barnes X bullets in 180 or 200 grain.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can either use the action off the 300 Short Ultra-Mag (they are making them now in the Model 700) or you can buy the Rem Model 7 and rebarrel. Bolt-face will be fine in either case.

You might also contact Chester's in New York as they will sell you an action by itself.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington is bringing out a new 350 Rem Mag this year. The rifle is called the Model 673. It has the vent rib like the 600 and the laminated stock. Just thought you might not have heard yet.

Posts: 229 | Location: Asheville, NC USA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably be cheaper to buy the new rifle in Rem 673 then to have the work done to another action?

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The very best action would be to find a used M70 WSM... the bolt face is already opened, it'll feed the 350 RM like a champ and best of all you can have the rifle "long-throated" because the M70's magazine will allow cartridges just over 3.00"... 2,600 + should be possible with 250's this way and make the very most out of the 350 RM.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the WSM's and the SAUM's have differant rim sizes, so I'm not sure that the 350 case would fit properly in a WSM bolt face. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Dan, the difference is something like .002"... meaningless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i have one in classic 700 that has been worked over. it still has the stock magazine though so 2.8" oal is it. i can load noselr pt 225's and they are fine.
sell your 308 and buy a used 700 in 350 rem mag. you may spend $500-600 and they are out there! by the time you rebarrel etc after buying a wsm or a rem saum you will have a grand in the thing. the rem 700 in 350 can be made to shoot for very little. a we bit o' trigger work and a bedding job. it will be worth just as much in 10 years as the day you bought it.
just my .02.........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an Interarms MarkX that has been rebarreled to .350RM for sale on GUNSAMERICA
I think it is still there.

Posts: 99 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote