New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a question for you guys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got the chance to get an 03 Springfield for basically nothing. I'm thinking about getting it and taking to action to make a rifle in 9.3x62. Question I have is if anyone will recommend a good smith for the job. Never had anything built on an action and I figure that there are some of you out there that have lots more experience than I have.

Thanks guys and girls.

Mac [Smile]

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
Check the serial numbers on the rifle first. There is supposed to be a problem with some earlier receivers. It could fall into the wallhanger, not safe to shoot group.

Sorry, I don't know the exact serial numbers to relay to you but if my memory is correct you don't want one that is below 800,000. I am sure someone here can give you the correct info there.

one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Over 802,000 on Springield Armory and over 285,506 on Rock Island. Single heat treat type that should not be fired with high pressure ammo.
These are recommended for collectors only.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MAC---

Be VERY careful with the 03 and 03A3s. As already mentioned, the low number recievers are not safe to use.

There were also some sand cast receivers made in Mexico in the 60s that are hand grenades. Most are marked Sante Fe Arms or Golden State Arms. These should be rendered useless when found.

The Springfields have a very strange barrel thread. 10 TPI square--- and there's no necking cut. They're difficult to do right, so most aren't.

<eldeguello>
posted
The BEST Springfield actions are the so-called "double-heat treated" ones made at Springfield Armory. Then comes the nickle-steel ones, and also the Remington 1903-A1 and 1903-A3/A4 actions made during WWII, although cleaning up the A3/A4 actions requires quite a little more hand polishing work and the addition of milled bottom metal in place of the stamped junk they come with. I made a .308 Norma from an 03/A3. After hand-polishing the action, turning down the barrel to sporter weight and a restocking job by Paul Jaeger (when they were still in PA), it turned out to be as nice a bolt-action as I've had, except for an original Mannlicher/ Schoenauer!! Very smooth feeding of the .308 Norma cases!! Also pretty accurate (1.5 MOA). A good, well-made Springfield can be ALMOST as nice as a good quality Mauser sporter!! [Wink]