New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 pre-'64 screw tightness
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How tight is tight enough, especially on that front barrel screw?

Accuracy in my pre-war '06 seems to have gone south since glass-bedding (done only to prevent further stock cracking) and I'm wondering if I need to tighten or loosen something.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeR>
posted
Front bbl screw and middle screw under the floorplate-loose as in you're almost afraid they'll back out, other two screws snug, not too tight. Good luck, Joe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends to a great deal just how the thing was bedded. If bedded just in the action area, the screw should probably be left loose. On the pre war rifles I will bed out to the front of the barrel boss then float forward of that. In this case the screw is snugged (technical term). If the barrel is floated, I put some blue Loc-tite on the screw, turn it in 'til it touches, then back it out 3/4 turn or so.
If, when you tighten and loosen the screw, the barrel moves up and down appreciably then you want to leave the screw loose. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I make the front floor plate screw as tight as I can hand turn it and get the rear trigger guard screw very tight also but not as much as the front floor plate screw. The screw for the front of the trigger guard is only just tight enough to hold it in place.

On the screw in the forend on some M-70's. I have only one rifle like that and it shoots very well with that screw tight. But each rifle may vary. blue locktite is a very good idea.