Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Magazine well length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted
<disclaimer> Hi, my username is "aleaddict" and I am a gun'oholic...</disclaimer>

With that introduction, I'd like to ask a fairly straight-forward question. I have a pair of Peruvian M1935 Mauser actions that were arsenal converted to .30-06, meaning that the feed ramp was factory modified. The tell-tale crescent notch is still visible on the front ring, as seen in the photo below. Bottom metal is 1909 Argie, standard length.

Here's where I'm confused...

Kuhnhauses's book states that the magazine length for the M1935 Peruvian FN, Belgium, is 3.315" (pg. 214). However, he also states that this length is too short for many .30-06 cartridges (pg. 192) and that the front of the mag well should be increased to 3.400" (OAL for .30-06, .338-06, et. al.). There is an obvious gap between the front wall of the mag well and the receiver. Am I correct in assuming that the mag well needs to be opened up to 3.400" for, say, a .338-06?

My other question is, should I save one of these actions for another '06-length conversion (maybe even the venerable .30-06?) or use it as the platform for a .257 Roberts Imp as intended?

The bottom metal is beautiful, but I have no problem welding up an extension to the front wall.

And just out of curiosity, what IS the actual mag well opening for the original Peruvian M1935 (or was the M1 .30 Cal. ball ammo used in SA really .085" shorter than it is today)? Confused

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 1909 bottom metal does not have enough length for 30-06 based cartridges. Save it for the 257 project....it looks good and will work great. Best to buy 30-06 lenth bottom metal for your action. What happened to the original bottom metal.....can be customized to hinged. GunParts sells 30-06 metal....omce cleaned up it looks good. The more expensive route is SunnyHill or any of the custom parts suppliers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aleaddict:
<disclaimer> Hi, my username is "aleaddict" and I am a gun'oholic...</disclaimer>

With that introduction, I'd like to ask a fairly straight-forward question. I have a pair of Peruvian M1935 Mauser actions that were arsenal converted to .30-06, meaning that the feed ramp was factory modified. The tell-tale crescent notch is still visible on the front ring, as seen in the photo below. Bottom metal is 1909 Argie, standard length.

Here's where I'm confused...

Kuhnhauses's book states that the magazine length for the M1935 Peruvian FN, Belgium, is 3.315" (pg. 214). However, he also states that this length is too short for many .30-06 cartridges (pg. 192) and that the front of the mag well should be increased to 3.400" (OAL for .30-06, .338-06, et. al.). There is an obvious gap between the front wall of the mag well and the receiver. Am I correct in assuming that the mag well needs to be opened up to 3.400" for, say, a .338-06?

My other question is, should I save one of these actions for another '06-length conversion (maybe even the venerable .30-06?) or use it as the platform for a .257 Roberts Imp as intended?

The bottom metal is beautiful, but I have no problem welding up an extension to the front wall.

And just out of curiosity, what IS the actual mag well opening for the original Peruvian M1935 (or was the M1 .30 Cal. ball ammo used in SA really .085" shorter than it is today)? Confused

-- ale

With a flat file & half an hour your 09 mag well can be opened up to 3.360 or so easily Wink
remove more from the rear than the front. I think Kunhausens book explains this project in
detail? Smiler

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of aleaddict
posted Hide Post
I bought these Preuvian M1935's completely stripped. No bolt, trigger, bottom metal, etc. The 1909 bottom metal is almost too nice to grind on, but if I do extend the magazine I'll be using my Tig welder and mill. Otherwise, I'm looking for some .30-06 bottom metal and then use the 1909 trigger guard as a template for making my own.

BTW, I think the mag well needs to be opened up to 3.400", not 3.360" (or am I missing something here?).

Lastly, I think I'll buy a Yugo 24/47 for the .257 Roberts AI project and save the other M1935 for something else down the road...

-- ale

Posts: 140 | Location: Southern Kalistan | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I think the mag well needs to be opened up to 3.400", not 3.360" (or am I missing something here?).

Yes $300.00 or $400.00 for nice, but expesive bottom metal! 3.360/3.370 works period! No cutty no tiggy. Big diff between Grind & File, If you use the mill you still need to file the radius out of the rear corners.
Have a good one!! Big Grin beer
( I did make a mistake it was R.A. Walsh's book not Kuhnhausen's I was refering to)

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, I think the mag well needs to be opened up to 3.400", not 3.360"

I think std max OAL for the 06 is 3.34". Longer magazines allow you to seat the bullet out.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ale-

way back when, Sarco sold these 09 TG's with the front box milled out for the 30/06 to what I measure 3.352.
It fits the 06 fine with the 220gr load with room to spare, also gov't. M-2 Ball fits fine.I have one left if you would be intrested in trading. Send me a PM if intrested.
Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The magazine needs to be longer than the ammo. It needs to be as long as the ammo tipped up on it's rim.

I converted a VZ24 to 300 Win Mag, and the 3.34" dummy cartridges will not feed from a 3.34" mag well.

I would not mess up Arg bottom metal.
I can buy full length Mauser bottom metal with mag release.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote