Find
Notify
Tools

new M70 bolt handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

beyond aesthetics, is there a solid reason to replace the bolt handle on a M70?

thanks.

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None that I know of. I think the M70 has about the best bolt handle design I've used...

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pre-64 SHAPE is outstanding. However the placement is sometimes quite painful.

I'll never forget my first M70 458 African experience. The pain of the back of the trigger guard hitting my second finger was TOTALLY overwhelmed by the pain of the bolt knob hitting my index finger!

Of course the tight grip of the factory stock was largely to blame but still my big fat fingers need more space with a heavy kicker.

I remember seeing one of Elmer Keith's articles in G&A where he showed a custom 458 M70 with what he called some great alterations for a working rifle.

One of the alterations was a new bolt handle with the knob positioned further forward, for more finger room, and Elmer approved. FWIW so do I, about a-third-to-half-a-knob further forward is enough for me.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Some may want a straight down handle to reduce knuckle dusting possibilities on a heavy kicker. Another reason could arise from goofy grinding for a low mount scope. I've seen a couple. I am of the opinion as others that the M70 handle is great as is.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rifle caliber in question is a 375 H&H.

should this be of concern? stock will be an echols legend.

thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think a few shots with said rifle will answer your question for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps the question is best answered by those using the above referenced combination.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 H&H in one of D'Arcy's stocks and never been hit by the bolt handle. It is a great stock design.

HBH