New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever Action Carbine Project
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What lever action would be best suited to re-chambering in 32 H&R Magnum? I am interested in have this carbine as a companion to some Ruger Single Sixes. I like the idea of a pistol and carbine �matching�. My wife has shown some interest in CAS so I wanted a LOW recoiling pistols and carbine for her to use.

I would prefer to use a Marlin but a Winchester would be great too. What model would be closest, and require the least work to get to the .375 rim size.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Newguy,

I think I would take the easy way out here, and buy a factory chambered rifle and avoid re-barreling. You could go with .357 Mag chambered guns, and have her shoot .38 Special cowboy loads in them. Very easy on the recoil, and the guns are pretty cheap.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A M 92 Winchester would be nice, kinda like a .32/20.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This subject has been debated for a long time at the SASS Wire - and the concensus is that there isn't a good candidate. There have been a few 1892 Winchesters and a few 1894 Marlins converted, but none have worked very well. The problem is that the case is just too short and has too small a diameter for good feeding & ejection in the 32-20 based rifles; and the 22 Mag based rifles just aren't big enough. There has been a lot of begging aimed at Marlin producing a 32 Mag 1894, but so far it hasn't happened. The old 1892 Marlins in 32 RF/32 Short aren't good candidates either as they don't have the strength to handle the 32 Mag.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote