New
Find
Notify
Tools

Howa Picatinny Rail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the distance between the second and third scope mount holes of a Remington 700 action?

I know on a Howa 1500 308 it is 3.9"

Reason I ask is that a Rem 700 has the same front and rear hole spacing as the Howa, but I'm not sure of the 2nd/3rd hole dimension.

Thinking maybe I can use a Rem 700 Picatinny rail and maybe have it re-drilled to suit the Howa.

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete

I do know that the two piece bases that fit the 700 also fit the Howa.

However, I do not know if the distance between the front set of holes and the back set of holes is the same.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700 LA and the HOWA/Weatherby Vanguard LA use the same base. I just suspect that the same is true for the SA's.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
Gents just be carefull here, I know the 2 piece bases fit both Remington and HOWA, but I have a feeling the action sizes are different so I don't think a Remington ONE piece mount will space right on a HOWA

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Brownell's says the one piece Picatinney they have fits both. Call Brownell's and ask!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK the Howa 1500 fits right between the Rem 700 SA and LA dimensions. I ordered a Warne Rem 700 LA Picatinny rail from LS&B and it is too long for the Howa. By the same token, I measured a Rem short action and the 2nd/3rd hole dimension is 6mm (1/4") shorter than the Howa's. There seems adequate metal on the SA picatinny rail I might just order one and drill it to suit the Howa. The long action rail isn't wasted it'll go on my Rem 700 270 Win.

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good info. Thanks for posting your findings!