THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technique for Bedding a CZ 550 .375 Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have done my own epoxy bedding on a couple of bolt-action rifles, and I am now eyeing my new CZ 550 Safari Magum (the one with the American stock), which is chambered in .375 H&H. This thing looks trickier to bed with epoxy than my other rifles, for a couple of reasons. I would appreciate your advice. The main problem is that unlike most of the other rifles I have seen, the front action screw fits through a hole in the stock right up into the main recoil lug recess, and it then screws into a threaded screw hole right in the bottom of the recoil lug itself! (In the other rifles I have worked on, the front action screw screws into a threaded hole in the receiver behind the recoil lug.) How do you epoxy bed a recoil lug like this, without allowing the epoxy to be pushed up right into the screw hole in the bottom of the recoil lug, creating a big risk that you will never be able to get the action screw out again, after the epoxy sets?

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Not sure how you have been doing the other two action screws in the tang and the front receiver ring, but if you apply ample coating of common floor wax to the screw shank and in the hole as well, the epoxy, bedding compopund, etc. will not adhere. It may well be tight and not want to release when you do try to back out the screw, but if it is so tight that normal pressure will not break it loose,(no abnormal pressure/force should be used on firearms) would further suggest you heat screwdriver blade to cherry hot or if using allen wrenches, same, and apply to screw head,slot or hole, and let the heat transfer to the screw itself and it will come loose. Above system has worked for me for several years now. Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigBrass-

Any Mauser type lug (with the front screw going into lug):

Put a small piece of Skotch tape over the hole. Liberally wax both the receiver and screw.
Ease the screw through the bedding compound until you contact the tape. A forceful shove
on the screw will break the tape and allow you to tighten the screw as needed.

(I have a screw that I have sharpened to a point to use when bedding Mausers. Make the taper
fairly short, but pointed to pierce the tape. You can snug up the action enough with only
3-4 threads to let the bedding cure.)

BE SURE TO WAX INSIDE THESCREW HOLE BEFORE APPLYING THE TAPE!!!!

Bob

Posts: 120 | Location: El Dorado, Arkansas, USA | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows. Your information was most helpful.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
BE SURE TO WAX INSIDE THESCREW HOLE BEFORE APPLYING THE TAPE!!!!

Bob

That is where many of the crusaders went wrong in the 11th century.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote