Find
Notify
Tools

Need a trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted
I just bought a Herters U9. This is one with a BSA action and a Douglass barrel. I ran a spread of a dozen loads through it and found three that held together really well. I don't think from the looks of it that this trigger can be adjusted. It's kind of creepy and a little heavy. Does anyone know of a good trigger that will fit these things? I don't like the thought of this trigger on a gun that gave me three sub 1/2"groups on a trial run.

Yeah, yeah I know don't mess with it. The patience and discipline necessary with a crappy trigger make it way harder than it needs to be. If good enough was good enough we'd all be happy with two inch groups and 2400 FPS.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Miles,
Being a lover of the Beezers-- do this. Get yourself a copy of DeHaas book "Bolt Action Rifles" and then read up on the triggers. Then disassemble yours and hone all the parts with a good moonstone. Make SURE the pivot pins are polished too. You just might be surprised how nice they can be with a little TLC. BTW! I tried for several years to get a good replacement trigger like a Timney on a few of mine to work with no luck.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done a number of triggers as Bohica says, and get an excellent pull.
Much of a trigger's pull weight is due to friction, and that can be fixed as Bohica mentioned. Polish mating parts. The other area is with the pull spring. I change out the pull spring with one that has wire thickness about 20% thinner than the factory spring; same length and coil OD.

Don