THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting bolt for standard remington extractor?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody cut a bolt for a standard remington extractor? I.e. the little spring steel piece that comes standard on a model 700? It looks like it's a .111 high groove that's .039 below the top of the bolt nose. But how deep? Does depth change at the ends?

How about with the riveted version. Might be easier as a retrofit.

Looking at fitting it to a bolt action I'm trying to make, or improve. Also interested in how to do it for bolts that I've bushed to a smaller diameter and previously put Sako or M16 style extractors on.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

This is from my notes, taken from ancient, Danish/Canadian hieroglyphics so use them with caution and double check them.

For standard cartridges the groove width is .108 inch. The groove diameter is .565 and the entry port diameter is.480 inch.

For magnums the groove width is again .108 inch. the groove diameter is .620 inch and the entry port is .542 inch.

You need to cut a slight 45 degree feed cone on the face. The claw is located just slightly up from center of the port lug.

DOUBLE CHECK THESE NUMBERS ! ! ! !

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee To double check the groove depth. Remove the extractor from a magnum or standard bolt and drop in two .100 inch balls. Measure across the balls with a caliper or pin gauges and add .200 inch to get the diameter.

Some guys cut them in the lathe and others cut them like Remington does in a rotary table with a small, .100 Woodruff. Remington does not cut them all the way around. If you have a CNC you can interpolate them as Remington does without removing the handle.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Speer. Do you think it was for older riveted boltface or newer "rivetless" version. Actually I guess the magnums have gone back to the riveted one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
coffee

Well, that's a good question. I have it marked as 721. I have a rivet-less standard 700 here and across the balls it measures .595 inch on the groove diameter. That makes some sense because now that I think about it, the 721 had a thinner extractor. The groove width is still .108 inch. I don't have a rivet type or magnum to check.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
The undercut for the riveted extractor is not round but is an offset ovoid. I have the dimensions written down somewhere and I'll post them as soon as I remember in which dusty notebook I have them. I can likely even e-mail a drawing with layout and instructions. It's kind of a tricky little cut to make. I have not done one for the snap in extractor but, to me, it looks easier. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. I PM'd you. I'd love to get any instructions you might find.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I copied some of Billys gibberish for taking standard Remingtons to magnum:
Opening 700 bolt face to magnum…

I will describe from the viewpoint of looking straight on at the bolt face. The bolt is set up with the lugs 8degrees clockwise from being vertical. The ejector is on the bottom. Assuming the bolt face has been opened to .525 we'll use a .500 dia woodruff cutter ground to .112 thickness. We'll start by moving to the right to contact then cut.050 deep. Then up .060+.0125. Then left .120. (.050+.025+.045).

Leeper will be cackling for months now that he knows I saved it. Now that I look at it again I can't make sense of it. But I'm sure it did at the time.

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, again!

The numbers look like the cuts are lighter on top and bottom of retracting bolt face (.050 and .045) than on outside edge (.060). I would guess this is to provide clearance for the hook (outside edge) to bend out of the way as the cartridge head passes it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people have difficulty with what should be perfectly clear descriptive prose.
In truth, there is barely enough material in a 700 bolt for the Remington extractor in a magnum. This is why so many of them have trouble with the extractor being too tight. The standard boltface works fine.
I have to make a bolt for an XP100 action I have here (former owner messed up the original) and I will machine it for the snap-in extractor. Like I said before, it looks easier. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Some people have difficulty with what should be perfectly clear descriptive prose.
In truth, there is barely enough material in a 700 bolt for the Remington extractor in a magnum. This is why so many of them have trouble with the extractor being too tight. The standard boltface works fine.
I have to make a bolt for an XP100 action I have here (former owner messed up the original) and I will machine it for the snap-in extractor. Like I said before, it looks easier. Regards, Bill

coffee
I suppose what you're trying to say without the play by play math is:

I will describe from the viewpoint of looking straight on at the bolt face. The bolt is set up with the lugs 8degrees clockwise from being vertical. The ejector is on the bottom. Assuming the bolt face has been opened to .525 we'll use a .500 dia woodruff cutter ground to .112 thickness. We'll start by moving to the right to contact then cut .050 inch right. Then up .0725 inch. Then left .120 inch.

I think yer easier to understand when you-bin-A-drinking Billy. Or, maybe you're easier to understand when I-bin-A-drinkin ! LOL

Rod Henrickson

one of us
posted Hide Post
The truth is, I can't understand it either. In fact, are you sure I wrote that? Regards, Bill.