Find
Notify
Tools

HVA action - Small Ring 98 same?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I have an early (mid 1950's) Husqvarna HVA action. It has the same hole spacing as a 98 but has a small ring. This early version has the steel triggerguard that has a very similar footprint as a 98 (unlike the later HVA action with the alloy triggerguard)

Getting a stock in my price-range is a bit tricky. I hope to get an ~inletted stock requiring the least amount of final inletting and/or glass bedding.

Anybody familiar with the HVA action/steel triggerguard know how close it is to the small-ring 98's like the G33-40 or others?

Thanks in advance

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Small ring 98s use the same bottom metal as the large ring; only the ring is different, and the threads can be large or small.
So, if you know if your works with large ring 98 bottoms, then it will work with small ring bottom. Same thing.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have a nice HVA action Steve Berg restocked in the Rigby style with a standard steel FN bottom metal.
He said it fit without any alteration.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hold out until you find semi inlet for the HVA. Bolt stop is different as there is no boltstop box, front tang on bottom metal is shorter and tang safety is different shape. FN bottom metal can be used but rear of FN magazine box must be cut and moved forward slightly to clear trigger unit. Fitting and finishing a stock is too much work to end up with less than pleasing.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have a nice HVA action Steve Berg restocked in the Rigby style with a standard steel FN bottom metal.

Then you have a standard Husqvarna 98 action, not the 1640 action.

Like the post above says, the bottom metal is completely different other than hole spacing.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:

Then you have a standard Husqvarna 98 action, not the 1640 action.

Like the post above says, the bottom metal is completely different other than hole spacing.

I do know what I have as I have owned a number of the FN auctioned large ring Huskies and this is one of the HVA small ring actions .

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that you are referring to the HVA 1600 action. The Precursor HVAs using FN actions were the model 640 and model 146. I know of a fellow in Tennessee who adds M98 bolt releases to the 1600s to improve their looks and functionality.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2169 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Repeating Rifle Model 640
6,5x55mm / 8x57JS / 9,3x62mm, 5 round magazine. After 1949: .220 Swift / 270 Win / 3006 Springfield.
60cm round, rifled, Swedish Special Steel.
Fixed sights.
1944-1953
Walnut with checkered flat bottom pistol grip. Broad checkered halfstock, later other variants.
Bolt action FN, older type (German M/98). Bent handle. Later FN newer type with backwards swept handle. Some with Swedish M/38 actions. A lot of variants exist.'

Sounds like you have a M/38 action.

Check out Gunboards for more info.
https://forums.gunboards.com/f...mp-Sporting-Firearms

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
You can use an FN bottom metal on the 1640 but the mag box on the 1640 sits further forward that the FN box. Also, as you can see, the FN Box has that extension that sticks up into the mag well whereas the 1640 doesn't. FN on bottom, 1640 on top:

The 1640 and FN 98's have the same hole spacing.

The M38 derived Husqvarna 640' do not share the same hole spacing.

The Large Ring FN 98 based 640's obviously do since they are FN 98's.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I should have checked my M38 first. The hole spacing is different.

We need pictures.

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
No, it's not a large ring 98 style action (I have the Husqvarna version of that). Nor is it a 94 type action. It's for sure a small ring HVA commercial action that they introduced around 1954. The first couple years they used a steel triggerguard that has a similar footprint as 98. They are recognizable by the steel spring floorplate release that sticks out in front of the trigger bow. Around 1960 (?) they switched over to an allow triggerguard that has the floorplate release in the triggerbow...ala 1909 Mauser. The front of the alloy triggerguard has a much different (larger) footprint.

I'll get a photo up when I'm back from hunting.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
No, it's not a large ring 98 style action (I have the Husqvarna version of that). Nor is it a 94 type action. It's for sure a small ring HVA commercial action that they introduced around 1954. The first couple years they used a steel triggerguard that has a similar footprint as 98. They are recognizable by the steel spring floorplate release that sticks out in front of the trigger bow. Around 1960 (?) they switched over to an allow triggerguard that has the floorplate release in the triggerbow...ala 1909 Mauser. The front of the alloy triggerguard has a much different (larger) footprint.

I'll get a photo up when I'm back from hunting.

Yup, the steel TG is pictured. Other than the actions screw location, they differ considerably. FN bottom metal can be used but, as you can see, it ain't drop in.

Aut vincere aut mori