New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage/Midway Switch Barrel Systems....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone Use these? It looks and sounds interesting...

I am new to Savage, just getting my first one, a 12 BVSS in 223......

I was looking to get a long action in an 06 or something like that.. and then get the barrels I'd like in the calibers I would like to have, so I can thin out the numbers of rifles in the gun cabinet...

I didn't find much on the Midway web site tonight, but did locate an article in the American Rifleman about it... I tried calling Midway, but they close early for we West Coast shooters....

Interested in any feed back.. any other source for drop in Savage Barrels at a Reasonable cost that any cares to share if they exist out there....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Seafire check out http://www.savageshooters.com there is a lot of information there on this. You can buy the tools from Midway etc. and prethreaded and chambered barrels from PacNor, Lothar-Walther, SharpShooter Supply (Shilen barrels), Adams&Bennet, etc.

Probably the best source for reasonable cost barrels is buying new take-off barrels from SharpShooter Supply and others. There are a lot of links to companies at Savage Shooters

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveCan those barrels be used on the Syevens 200? Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fjold!

Roger;

They should be changeable on the Stevens as it is strictly the old Savage 110 to Begin with! wihout the Accu trigger....

As a side note, I have been wringing out the Savage 12BVSs at the Range...

have been seeing what it will do with 55 grain bullets and what powders do the best in it with generic 55 grain Bulk Winchester Bullets.. High volume for varmint shooting...

So far I have tried the 69 grain Sierra HP... That seems to like IMR 4064 at 25 grains quite well....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, the thread size, tenon and barrel profile are the same for the Savages and the Stevens.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 11F with accutrigger that I have set up 3 different A&B barrels from Midway. The contour of the A&B barrels that I have is slightly smaller than the factory barrel, so there wasn't any need to open the barrel channel. My rifle has an injection molded stock, so I glassed some graphite arrow shafts into the forearm for greater stiffness.

The 3 barrels that I got are a 22-250 with a 1-8" twist, a 257 Roberts, and a 260. The 22-250 barrel is very accurate with 60 grain Partitions. The 257 Roberts was only shot with some 23+/- years old reloads, so I'm not sure how good it might shoot. The 260 barrel puts the 3 shots into slightly less than 1", but it must have a stress issue since it throws flyers about 3" to the right when it warms up. It goes back to POA after it cools down again, so it'll do fine since it isn't a pdoggy gun.

I don't think that I would bother to do it again, but I was bored and needed a distraction. If you just want to switch to another cartridge, but not as a switch-barrel, I'd buy a Savage factory barrel from Steve at http://www.savageparts.com.
Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold- I'm sorry but you may be mistaken- SSS uses Douglas blanks, not Shilen.

SBB

-[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fjold:
You can buy the tools from Midway etc. and prethreaded and chambered barrels from PacNor, Lothar-Walther, SharpShooter Supply (Shilen barrels), Adams&Bennet, etc.

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thx Super Bon Bon. That's just one of many mistakes I made today. homer

Frank