one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Opening

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends what it is, both

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
Depends what it is, both

Could you please explain?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok The M46s are like M96s cock on closeing. The 146 is a m98, The m640s are m98s but they made some m640s with the M38/m96 action also that are cock on closeing.

Look at the bolt sleeves some are m98 some are m38/96.

Here ya go:http://www.pettsons.net/m46.html http://www.pettsons.net/m46.html

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSP7, thanks for the explanation. The one I was looking at had a cocking piece just like the military M96/M38, with that square end sticking out the back.

If that's cock on closing, I'll pass unless the conversion is not that expensive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea I like the m98s. I have several M38 and a custom one that are cock on closeing and they are nice and the cock on closeing isnt that bad I dont even notice it.

Id like to get one of those M46 with the high left side rail. They are the strongest and arent that many of them.

I was watching this action for a M640 m98 in 9.3x62. I was going to go as high as $350 but the bidding frenzy is starting again and its over $350 now.
I think I know where there are some for less anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HP,
There are cock on opening conversion kits for the model 96 Mausers, if memory serves, they are made by Timney.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote