THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What to do about squished recoil pads (from storage)?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do about squished recoil pads (from storage)?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys, I was just looking at the stocks I have outside that I can play with. I noticed that the kick-eze pad on one of them has gotten squished, long term since it has been laying down flat for a while now, from storage. Should I grind that area so it matches the rest?

Which pads will not do this, or do you do something in storage to prevent it?

Thanks, Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
To begin with, try storing your guns muzzle down. Not only do you save the recoil pads but you don't have to worry about excess oil seeping into the stock.

If for some reason you can't do that, pachmayr 990 pads have a pin that fist in the screw hole of the recoil pad and the butt actually rests on that. Drive a 10 penny nail through a small disc of wood and grind the point smooth and you'll achieve the same result.

I have a Ft Knox gunsafe and what I can do is turn the gun sideways to fit it into the top of the rack, then turn it 90 degrees so the wrist of the stock fits in the channel where thebarrel usually fits. This works great with short guns too that are too short to stand up and reach the top support.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Also, I wouldn't grind the pad. Store it upside down for a month or so in a warm area and see if it goes back to normal.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been laying sideways on the cabinet for months now, at least 6 of them, no change in it. I'll think about storing them muzzle down, I'd have to put something down to protect the crowns. I'd love to have a big enough safe that they could all be hung sideways in there.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Get some squash balls (no jokes guys!) and cut a slit in them and put the muzzle in it. It protects the front sight a lot of times too when they clank against each other.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Red, I take a towel about the size of a gym towel about 18"x 24" and roll it up puting this under the butts of each bank of rifles in the safe. And haven't had any problems as you describe.

Phil

Posts: 1467 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote