New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Marlin Lever Action ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
kinda like putting 57 grain's of blue dot behind a 150 grain bullet in an /06..
Gun goes boom....Been there done that ...It does seem that i have a higher record of blowing gun's up

Not the record you would want people to know about though

Ruger mod/ M 77 30/06 stock was in three very nice piece's the back half or the case melted and the brass ran like melted butter down the reciver and covered it nicely
but the action held...

And ruger even sent out a new rifle... to repalce it

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well i might as well get this whole thing posted from start to finish
=================================================
This is how i posted it another board form start to finish
==============================================
Reloader 7 Powder - 45/70 Help

Help some body !

I reloaded my Marlin GS 45/70
Using Reloader 7 Powder i put 45 grain's of it in the case i used my own 300 Grain Jacketed bullet.
====================================
Man! is that a mistake!! the compony that make the powder has on its web site the load for this round-45/70
using 50 grains as its max!! charge and a cup pressure of 24.700 PSI Ok all seems fine untill i pulled the trigger
The lever popped open and the case froze in the chamber i had to beat the case out by running a seal rod down the barrel and hamming on it till the case poped out i took the case down stairs
It had form marks on the butt of the case the primer was as flat as a spanked babys ya you know!
I took the case and put it into the resizer and it could not be fully resized the base to the case was swallown
up so bad it would not go.
I pulled the bullets on all the shells i had loaded up the same way and rechecked each and ever one
i checked my scales to make sure thay were reading right i checked the primers to make sure thay were not mag primers i rechecked the hulls to make sure each
and ever one was right ...Nothing was wrong ever thing was just the way it was suppost to be
I took another GS out thinking that for what ever reason my own gun might be some how or some way messed up i reloaded the case just the same way
46 grains of reloader 7 300 grain jacketed bullet
winchester normal large rifle primer and a plain old 45/70 gov case i went out chambered a round and waammm same thing happened again
lever popped open case stuck in the chamber
These loads are listed at 24.000 PSI and there from t he powders manufactures web site that makes Reloader 7
If i had loaded this same round the same way into a ruger number 1 in 45/70 the same thing would have happened ........Some one please tell me what i am doing wrong ?
I triple checked the scales to make sure its reading right i followed the load listed on the web site
and if i did not know any better i would have to say that load is pumming out atleast 55.000 PSI

So anyone ?

===================================
Maybe i should have listed this in the rifle reloading section sorry guys
and i am taking the sec 45/70 down tommorow to the gunsmiths i cant get the shell out of the chamber on that one
� Last Edit: May 3rd, 2004, 11:58pm by Oregon �

============================================

Well Gent's it's not the bullet's
I have been making them since 1964..
What it is ? It was me all me ...........
The daybefore yesterday i went down town to a grand opening of a gunshop i ask the the owner for Reloader 7
powder ......With ever thing going on in the store and the flood of congrats going on in the store .He gave me the wrong powder He gave me -Accurate No 7 Powder-
It was my fault and mine alone for not checking
I would have NEVER made that mistake ever ! 10 or 20 years ago ..The cans look kind of the same and it did
say 7 on it .. i have a pit in my guts this whole thing has made me sick to death and rightly so..
Other people put there life's in my hands and i was so overly irresbonsable and foolish as not to make trible sure i had been given the right powder to start with
and i never check once i got back to the shop to make sure it was Reloader 7 i took the word of the owner of the gunshop and never questioned It .Gezz
Honest to god boy's i feel like a D A R N fool!!

I will be taking the powder back to the store today
i think the owner owes me atleast an exchange
to what i asked for .
Maybe ?

Sorry to have troubled you guys with my fool hearty
deed ..I guess the leason here is no matter how many years you reload it just take's once ...

That day in the shop reloading there was 4 of use doing it all had over 40 years each reloading 160 years
of reloading and this still happened...

Some one kick me NOW ..

SIGNED == old fool

===================================================

A letter i got from- Alliant Powder Company-

To: nuni28@earthlink.net Subject: RE: Reloader 7 ------ and Accurate 7
Date: May 4, 2004 8:21 AM
This matter has come up before. A couple years ago, the same thing happened and persons Marlin 45-70 was completely destroyed. I am thankful that you were not hurt. Alliant RL 7 and Accurate Arms #7 are very different in burn speed. I do not know what the Accurate can looks like, however, I think that you should take this issue up with the store. Their clerk made a serious mistake and he should be educated so as not to do it again. My personal opinion is that it is courting trouble to name a powder in such a similar manner to another when the two have completely different burning speeds. As far as that goes, all I can say is that RL 7 was there first. At any rate, I am glad that you are okay. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments. Have a nice day.

Ben Amonette
Consumer Service Manager
Alliant Powder Company
www.alliantpowder.com

I thought this was worth the posting....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well now you know

Slink away and hind's

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Ernie didn't share the loading data with me....

Although doesn't Hatcher's book talk about a case full of Bullseye going over 100,000 in a 30-06?

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This happened to me ...

Martin,

First, STOP, please, PLEASE don�t do any more reloading with this propellant until you make positively sure that the powder in question really was Alliant�s �RELODER 7� (an extruded, log-shaped) RIFLE powder and not our Accurate #7(a small-sized, ball-shaped) PISTOL powder..

They are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT POWDERS!! And they will produce two entirely different pressure levels with the same powder charge weight!!

Please let us know what you find out. Please respond using the �REPLY� function.

Regards

David Kimble

Test-Technician Ballistics

Accurate Powders

Mc Ewen TN

=======================
It was a over charge ..Duhh and after contacting the other powder company it was determend that the charge i put into both Marlin GS's was 86.000 PSI both rifle's were taken to a gunsmith to check for head spacing and to look for any
micro crack's in the action or barrel's. both came out of the ordeal unscathed (Thank God )

Both rifle's had to have the empty case's beaten out of them with a long rod...both shell case;s had formed to the breach and both had split down the side...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any idea how the even get to 145,000 psi chamber pressure?

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote