New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slicking Rem 722 Safety
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I cleaned up a Rem 722 in 300 Sav for my son's first big game rifle. He is used to a Rem 600 (in 222) so I thought this rifle would be a logical step up. Well he can't operate the safety ... too stiff. And we are off to Africa in two weeks. Any ideas? I thought to superglue or solder a button extension to give him some more leverage.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the M722 utilizes the "Ball & Detent" system, I would remove the rifle from the stock and check to see where the safety is binding. If the action has been installed in a M700 stock, the wood will have to be relieved, adjacent to the safety lever, to allow for the safety lever to operate smoothly.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem to be binding and this is the original stock ... it's just the design makes it tough for a kid to operate.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
It doesn't seem to be binding and this is the original stock ... it's just the design makes it tough for a kid to operate.

A kid who is able to handle the rifle should be able to operate the safety. Remove the bolt and see if the safety moves easily. If not, it might need a good cleaning. Pull the gun from the stock and scrub the trigger assembly with an M16 type nylon brush and a good solvent. I use kerosene. Work the safety lever back and forth while applying solvent. Blow the trigger assembly completely dry with compressed air while operating the safety and trigger lever.

If the safety works smoothly with the bolt removed, then the problem is likely between the sear/safety cam and lever, in which case someone with experience in adjusting the lift angle, will be needed to correct the problem.

Good luck!

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is somewhat stiffer with the bolt in but I don't think it's binding on the bolt body as I can operate the safety even with the bolt handle slightly raised.

I will do the strip and clean when we get back. Already oiled the ball detent. In the meantime I found a Wby Vanguard 7-08 with a youth stock that is lighter in weight and very smooth in operation. We will use that.

Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Russ, when are we going to see some more of your articles in Shooting Sportsman? Good stuff and always entertaining. Good luck on your safari.

Posts: 33 | Location: western oklahoma | Registered: 11 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put a new Timney trigger with a saftey in my 722. Really helped with both the trigger and saftey.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trouthunterdj:
I put a new Timney trigger with a saftey in my 722. Really helped with both the trigger and saftey.

ddj

+1
I've used both Timney's and Rifle Basix triggers for Rem 700 rifles, and they work very well. Installation is quick too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement ... believe me writers need it.

SS is supposed to run an article on the Remington 1894/1900 shotguns this issue.

The other outfit that indulges my article-writing is African Hunter. I did a fairly technhical article on the Greener Empire guns not too long ago.

Regarding safeties, which Timney model (with side safety) works on the 722? I can't find one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

I believe it takes the same as a Remington 700 in Timney. I have one on my 722 and 721. If you want I will check tonight.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the 700 Timney has to be modifid to go on the 722 ... I will ask Timney, I buy lots of triggers from them for my Mauser Bad Boys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a 722 or a 721 trigger that needed more than a small screwdriver and a little bit of common sense, the same applies to 700 triggers and this is to include Remingtons with J locks.
People badmouth Remington triggers, but i've never seen one that I couldn't live with and I own several.
You can buy anybody's aftermarket triggers but unless you're into serious benchrest, it's money wasted, in my opinion.
I've been shooting Remington rifles since the 50's 722's, 721's 40x's,and 700's and have never had a problem with a Remington trigger.
Any problem with a Remington trigger, is selfe induced, in my opioion.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote