New
Find
Notify
Tools

Belgian FB 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Over here, after WW 2, until about 1965 the police were equiped with a short carbine model 98, cal. 8x57 IS made by FN in Belgium.

"Fabrique National d'armes de Guerre S.A. Herstal" is printed on the receiver next to the thumb cut.
They show a crowm on the receiverhead with a letter W (Wilhelmina) or J (Juliana), the names of our queens during and after the war

Every now and than these appear on the gunmarket and very often they are in mint (arsenal) condition, because the police never used them (There was at least one at every policestation as a back up gun)

How would you judge the quality of these actions compared to the more famous DWM 1909 specimens and those by other makers to be used as the basis of a solid 30-06 hunting rifle?

Posts: 223 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN-produced Mausers take a backseat to none. The only question I would have is the length of the magazine box, as an 8x57 isn't always made on a box long enough for an '06 (needs about 3.35" -- 85 mm -- or more to comfortably seat longer bullets). Of course, the box can be lengthen by a competent gunsmith, provided that cost is not a factor. As for me, I can't see enought advantage of the '06 over the 8x57 to change.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every now and than these appear on the gunmarket and very often they are in mint (arsenal) condition, because the police never used them (There was at least one at every policestation as a back up gun)

Personally in the condition you described I would keep it just like it was, no changes, not even minor.

I like the newer FN actions better than the old 1909's. The 1909's had great bottom metal, but there are other issues needing attention that a commercial FN doesn't need fiddling with, such as heat treating and bolt handles. The military version your describing won't have the bolt handle but the heat treating should be good.

Are these early 1950's production rifles?

Edit: I actually like both the actions you listed, and neither are a bad starting point for a custom rifle.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I have a mint Juliana in my collection & its quality is second to NONE! thumb

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote