New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 moa Rail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there Red Facen a 20 moa scope mount rail is the front part (front receiver ring) lower than the rear?

Regards Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin@Hin:
Hi there Red Facen a 20 moa scope mount rail is the front part (front receiver ring) lower than the rear?

Regards Martin

In a word...Yes. They are designed for really long range shooting so, depending upon your scope, you may find that you are unable to adjust the reticle for POA/POI at short ranges.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin@Hin:

Regards Martin

Yes it's higher than in the rear.
The way I always remember is that you move the rear site up for long range....and the front is opposite.
As long as I've been messing with guns I shouldn't have to think it through but sometimes I still do.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regards Martin[/QUOTE]

Yes it's higher than in the rear.
The way I always remember is that you move the rear site up for long range....and the front is opposite.
As long as I've been messing with guns I shouldn't have to think it through but sometimes I still do.........DJ[/QUOTE]

DJ,

I think you inadvertantly added a "than" when you typed that first sentence. I know what you really meant to say was: " Yes, it's higher in the rear." Smiler

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am still a bit confused. Are we agreeing then that the front end of the scope will be tipped down and the rear end up?
I have to know for sure since I am machining a rail myself and want to do it correctly.
Regards, Martin

Posts: 328 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Martin we are agreeing that the front will be lower than the rear.

I have to ask the obvious question, and please don't be offended. Is there a special reason you are going to try and make this instead of just buying one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick, thanks for the clarification. As to answering your question (and I am not offended by you asking) this is going to be an adjustable 0-30 MOA mount.
I don't know who would make one but I am sure it would be over $200. US or more. That would mean that it would cost me $300. Can. also anything gun related over 100.$ US requires an export permit and most gun stores are reluctant about that.
I just like fiddling with this sort of thing and I have spent way too much money on new guns the last few months.
Again thanks both of you for your replies.
Regards, Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Martin!

When you finish it post a picture on here...sounds like quite a project,good luck! What distances are you planning on shooting?

FYI...scope bases are not classified as "gun parts" and as far as anyone knows you are buying something to mount a scope for bird watching or
photography! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick:I will ,I don't know how to post pic's but I am sure some body can ,if I email them.
Our gunrange has a range up to 500 and if I just leave town there is lots of places that will be 1000 or more.
I want the mount to be adjustable because most of my rifles have Weaver type bases cut to the same pitch (so to speak) meaning all my scopes are interchangeable allowing me to try diff. set ups.

Regards Martin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin,

Sounds like an interesting project.

If you have a machining background you probably already know what a sine-bar is. Have you thought about something using that type system to give you adjustable angles on a mounted base?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick;
The org.plan was to just make a 20 min rail for my new Sendero,20 min on a 7" rail is about 30 min angle the front ring has a 1.29" diam rear is 3.6.
I want it to be a rail to give the receiver more stiffness.
I have several scopes I could use, 2 have 30mm tubes and 1 (a 20 power) a 1" so I may or may not need more or less then 20 min.
For a adj. rail I can go with separate front and rear bases (easier to machine) the front will have like a sine bar a hinge pin the rear will have a 10/32 set screw,one turn will lift the rear +/- .040" this in turn is about 20 min.
Once the angle is set 3 cross bolts will lock the rail in place.
The scope bases are supposingly the same as the Weatherby's but I think I better wait for the Sendero to make the final calculations.

Regards Martin