Find
Notify
Tools

cz 550 mods
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
gents:

if you lop off an inch or two or three from a factory barrel, what impact does it have on the rear sight, if any?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Not being a wise guy but it doesn't actually do ANYTHING to the rear sight but it surely changes the height of the FRONT sight. I cut both my 375 and my 416Rigby to 21". I then installed the NECG front ramp and sight that has elevation in the front sight. Works perfectly.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
By moving the sight up the barrel you are essentially raising the front sight, or, lowering the point of impact, so, you will need to use a lower front sight insert. Measure the diameter of the barrel where the sight is now and where it will be when you are done cutting and subtract the difference betwen the two from original front sight.

Of course the bullet may naturally impact low from the loss of velocity so you may need an even lower front sight. Gee, aren't you glad you asked? Big Grin

The rule of thumb with open sights: Same height front and rear, from center of bore to top of sight. This is with the rear sight in it's middle, elevated position.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I meant in terms of the oveall visual blance of the rifle with the shorter barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Is this for looks or for shooting? Just so it doesn't look like a pistol, use a good peep.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am referring to what marc stokeld did for someone a while back. wondering if leaving the rear sight while shortening the barrel would create any issues:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=523105705#523105705

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
I am referring to what marc stokeld did for someone a while back. wondering if leaving the rear sight while shortening the barrel would create any issues:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=523105705#523105705

Oh, I get it. I think. You want to cut the barrel back and not replace the front sight, making the rear sight useless. Right? What to do with the rear sight so it doesn't look out of place? Is that it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't realize i was actually so confusing - sorry. of course i would have a front sight. the question is if the barrel was shortened to say, 23" from the factory 25" and the forestock was shortened a tad, would the rear sight need to be moved back from its current position on the barrel so as not to look out of place?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I can't see 2" making that kind of difference (watch the smart remarks...), but you could look at AHR's as I believe they frequently shorten the barrels.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
JSL,

No need to do anything to the rear sight and no need to do anything to the forend.

Lop 2 inches of the bbl and move the front sight back.

Go to the range and using say a 4 inch bull at about 75 yards and 6 o'clock hold see where your ammo prints.

After doing that then you can think about changing the front sight height.

Your post didn't say what caliber, but I suspect that at 75 yards which would probably be the longest open sight shot you will take that your POI will be sub minute of critter kill zone.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not using a banded front sight, mount the new one in alignment before cutting the barrel and old sight off. It will save you some range time.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a ZKK 602 in 375 H&H and a CZ550 in 416 Rigby. Both have had the barrels cut to 21" and new NECG Front ramps installed on both. The 416 Rigby has the Universal Screw-On with .030" of elevation adjustment and a red fibre optic blade, the stock is a Brockman laminate that is fully glassed with a kick-eze (it came with 2 crossbolts as it was one of the early ones with no cheekpiece),it also has a barrel band sling swivel, the scope is a Swarovski 1.5-4.5 Nova in old Warne rings. The small crook in the CZ bolt handle has been straightened. The 602ZKK has a NECG special low Masterpiece banded ramp with their S-4 bead which has a fold down nite sight. On the 602 the stock is the original that has a Decellerator added along with 2 crossbolts and full glass,the scope is a Leupold VX1 2-7 in CZ rings,it also has a barrel band front swivel. Both rifles have been to Africa, the CZ on my last safari and it took a very nice Elephant bull at about 20 or so yards. The 602 has probably accounted for many more head of African game as it was Jon Speeds last African rifle when he was a game warden. I have shot MANY head of plains game with it and one Leopard but no other dangerous game. They are my favorite African rifles and both consistently shoot under 1" with more or less anything I run thru them. I find them to be most handy in thick cover and in getting in and out of the cab of a Land Cruiser. When on safari my rifle NEVER goes in a rack and is in MY hands the full time it is with me. As for as looks I wouldn't pretend to comment on that. They please me in every aspect and I frankly don't give a tinkers damn how they look to anyone else.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote