New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for beginning Gunstock literature
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would really like to learn some more about making stocks and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for some literature on the subject. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. AB

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Have you read the Silver Lining Scholarship thread yet? (excellent CD is available)

2. Professional Stockmaking by David Wesbrook

3. Custom Guns in Black and White by Steven Dodd Hughes

4. And, if you are really interested in making a whole bunch of stocks for yourself, or doing it on a semi professional basis, it might be beneficial to find a stockmaker who would be willing to take some of your money (I am guessing anywhere between $500 and $1000 or thereabouts) to allow you to come to their studio a few times to watch them craft a few from the blank, allowing you to make a few photos and ask a few questions. Try to find one that uses a milling machine to inlet their stock blanks.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. Professional Stockmaking by David Wesbrook

For fitting a simi-inlet Wesbrook's book is great.

If you were to buy only one book, I would highly recommend Stockmaking by Alvin Linden. The book is great for beginners because it goes so deep into the fundamentals. The real nice thing about this book is the fact that Linden did all his work with basic hand tools. Doing it the Linden way does not require a bunch of expensive equipment.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
David Wesbrook's book is it. If you are serious about doing best quality work I would make it a point to NOT read most of the other books out there. Lindens book is good. Both the S.D.H. and Ron Towes book are excellent but wont give you the "how" as far as nuts and bolts. Again, I would not waste my time with the myrad of books typlified by cute rhymes in the glossary.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great guys.. thanks for the info. I will read the silver lining thread.

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Lindens writing style left me with a headache. I like the Wesbrook book if you can find one. I read about everything I get my hands on and learn some from each. I've been reading the Roy Dunlap book lately and enjoy it. Once you get an idea of the basics I find looking at professional work helpfull and enjoyable. SDH's book above is full of classic work and very helpfull. I like the black and white as it shows the detail of the work very well. Sometimes pretty wood is a good cover for average work (like mine) Smiler. The B&W draws your eye to the details IMO.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stockmaking,eh? Well there are 2 aspects of it that the books cover. One is the techniques you need to learn/master. (I agree) Linden's book is good but a bit dry. Monty Kennedy's "Firearm Design & Assembly, Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks" also pertains.

The second aspect, and IMHOP, is even more important: stock (& rifle) design. That's where SDH's books come in. There is no finer assemblage of fine rifle & shotgun designs by the best custom makers available.

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hughes book is excellent for visual clarity as to what you should be trying to achieve and is a bargain at any price. Mr.Wesbrook’s book is indispensable for the how-to of stockmaking. Another book you should be looking for is Ron Toews. It’s proably the best book I have seen on the finest of American gunmaking.

http://www.amazon.com/Contemporary-American-stockmakers...id=1227740143&sr=1-1

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Or better yet, this is where i got my copy, not perfect but very close to it and several hundreds dollars cheaper!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Contemporary-American-Stockmakers-G...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for all the great links, and to SDH.. I am looking forward to picking up your book set. Now it is time to get my hands on this stuff...settle in for some good reading...and then knowing myself... completely ruin my 1st stock but learn a lot and go from there!! It is going to be fun! Great, just what I need...another hobby!!

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Srtrax,
That is one heck of a deal! The book sold for 100$ new back in “79. The seller is Dennis Toews, Ron’s cousin and a heck of a nice guy.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
SDH you have a PM.

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked-up a copy of Ron Toews' book. Many thanks Big Earl and srtrax for pointing it out.

It's a fantastic book. A few of the featured stockmakers I'd never heard of and never seen their names posted here or on any other bulletin boards. Guys like Richard Hodgson and Robert M. Winter. And then there are the chapters on Jerry Fisher, Maurice Ottmar and Duane Wiebe amongst others. Fine, fine stockmakers all.

This book was such a great find. Thanks again.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it! May have sold out of them, because they are no longer comeing up on that sight anymore...Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want a historical perspective, the granddaddy has to be Clyde Baker's "Modern Gunsmithing" from the 1930's. I think this was one of the first widely published books in the field and is a fun read, full of practical tips. It has nice sections on remodeling military actions and building sporter stocks. The examples from Mews, Linden, Kennedy and other "old timers" are terrific.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I wish I could find a copy of Wesbrooks book for a reasonable price!!!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
Try dropping this guy a line, he might know where you can pick up a copy:

David Wesbrook
9370 Ridge Ave.
East Sparta OH. 44626

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...ct?saleitemid=287366

Midway lists Westbrook's book for a decent price ($50). I'd call to make sure they have it. Amazon has several copies beginning at $135.00!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Clowdis! I looked at Amazon and saw those prices and just said no. I figured it was an out of print book! I will check Midway now! Lee.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested in a copy of this book, one has come up again.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Contempora...7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

Great price and a good person to buy from!

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
That is a great price on that book. I gave quite a bit more to Jerry Fisher for a copy last year at the ACGG exhibition and was happy to get a copy. I was told by some that I had gotten it too cheap but now I see I paid too much. Wink

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatley, Midway shows the Wesbrook book as dicontinued. The search goes on!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
That is a great price on that book. I gave quite a bit more to Jerry Fisher for a copy last year at the ACGG exhibition and was happy to get a copy. I was told by some that I had gotten it too cheap but now I see I paid too much. Wink

The copy I got for $80 has some light foxing on the inside covers, and some very light water damage at the bottom of the pages. It was advertised as such, and in no way detracts from my reading enjoyment. It's just not a mint copy, that's all. I think it's a very impressive book.

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote