THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Reshaping and Refinishing Reminton Factory Lamintaed Stock

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reshaping and Refinishing Reminton Factory Lamintaed Stock
 Login/Join

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
The Remington Factory Laminated stocks are defined as "resin impregnated". Any reason I wouldn't be able to reshape and then refinish this stock.

Want to take some wood out of the forend.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I completely reshaped one for a customer some years ago and then used it for a pattern for a stock in English Walnut. The original stock is now on a Rem 700 in 25/06 and the new stock is on a 300 Winchester. It was just like working wood. The customer (and I) pretty much detested the shape of the original stock. Looked like it was designed by a committee. Probably the same guys that wanted to build a horse and came up with a giraffe.

Chic

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
Hmmm "designed by a committee" that�s a group of people chosen to serve and needing only one qualification that being "absolutely no experience with the project so as to not CLOUD their recommendations".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I've made two stocks from surplus Remington blanks from Gun Parts Incorp(at least they said they were Remington surplus). Both worked more or less like walnut. The layers of glue are a lot harder than the wood layers and if you are not careful with the sanding, you will get a wavy affect(use a sanding block). I finished them as I would a walnut stock and they turned out fine.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote