New
Find
Notify
Tools

Type A and Type B Commercial Mausers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have illustrations of the Type A and Type B commercial Mausers?

Or where I might find them on the net?

Thanks,

flaco

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Probably the best single place to look is GunsAmerica.com. If you can find a copy of Jon Speed's book it will make you a Mauser junkie.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There is also someone on eBay selling facsimilie copies of an original Mauser sporting rifle catalogue which outlines the various types and patterns, lots of pics, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Gentlemen-

I already spent my book budget on the de Haas tome, and wood.

I was hoping that perhaps ALF might post some images.

Someone in the past has posted truly great Mausers, but I--search challenged?--can't find them.

flaco

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Well, sorry snap shots but this is a typical Model B stock. Very trim:

very slim in the forearm, about 8-3/4 inches long from the end of the front ring:

just a whisper of a schnabel:

simple cheek piece:

another shot of the slim forend:

and slim wrist (no cast off; that's lens distortion):

altogether a really elegant design. I like the Model A too but so far they are out of my reach.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The Mauser catalogue copy I referred to is only about $9.00, well worth it if you don't have the Speed book and aren't familiar with commercial Oberndorfs. Type As were made for the English and American trade, typically have full checkering, steel or horn forend tips, hinged floorplates with inside bow release marked "Made In Germany" and slightly higher grade walnut, available in several configurations or patterns, like Type Bs.

Top & bottom are Type B 10.75x68s, different barrel & floorplate configurations:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I take it that's a .22 Lr in the middle? Looks man-sized for sure. Also, if you look close at my wrist and forearm they didn't worry too much about the checkering. Lots and lots of flat diamonds, under-runs and over-runs. Sometimes that's a give-away on a refinish job. If the checkering is perfect it's probably been re-worked.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
tiggertate: I take it that's a .22 Lr in the middle?

Model 410-B repeater.