New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trading up.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
3 Months ago I traded an old Brno .22 target rifle for a Sako L579 308 Forester. Yesterday the other party wants his 308 back but he has this old 220 Swift he can give me in its stead.....

I check it out, it is a 304XXX serial #(late 50's, I presume) Win M70 with the stainless steel barrel. The stock is not original, and to my eye it's been done lousy, but....it's a pre-64. The action is fine and the barrel is in good nick.

My immediate thoughts run to doing a Mannlicher stocked 7X57. Something classic for bush hunting.

Guess I got some decisions coming up.

[ 01-28-2003, 23:21: Message edited by: Pete Millan ]

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would want $50. to $100. boot here in the states on that trade...also check the bore on that swift, they shoot out pretty quick..basically all you want is the action, so thats $400. here....the 308 is worth $500 to $550 in the states.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

When I factor in I started with a $50 22 Long I think I'm ahead of the game!! I just love pre-64's and I never reckoned I'd get one this easily.

I been tossing this around in my head all day. I don't need the Swift as I already got a 22-250.

I sure as nuts DON'T need another calibre in my life. I nearly got all the gaps filled:

22-250

(Insert yawning chasm HERE)

270 Win
7X64
300 H&H
375 H&H

OK there is a yawning chasm right there which might be filled by a 243, 25-06, or a 6.5X55. But these types of rounds don't suit a Mannlicher style rifle. I'd rather build a heavy varminter style rifle and use it for F-Class, which is tweaking my interest right now. Also for springbok hunting.

Maybe a shorty 7X64. My existing 7X64 is also a pre-64 (Funnily enough also an ex Swift), but since I had it tricked up for competition it doesn't go impala whacking no more. I miss that smooth action in the field.

Of course I have to get management buy in for this project.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Ask for a $50 US (425 rand?) and rebarrel to 358 winchester.. that's the yawning hole i see!!!

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6mm Rem. or 6mm-.284?

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Looks like a 1/4 bore chasm too me, I had one too, mine is being nicley filled with a Roberts Improved.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote