New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 rimmed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want a Blaser K95 barrel in 243. I have 2 already and have found that a rimmed cartridge works much better.

It seemed to me that it might be possible to order a standard 243 barrel and then have the chamber machined to accept a rim. The standard K95 rimmed extractor could be substituted.

Brass could be made from formed and shortened 6.5x57R (or 444marlin?)

Thoughts on how feasable this would be (and no I don't want a 6x62Freres!)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you would soon fall out of love with forming the brass.
My suggestion is buy a few .444 Marlin cases and form them to .243. If you are satisfied with that activity you might try the modified barrel.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the .307 and .356 Winchesters, rimmed .308 cases reportedly. I know of many, many surplus .308s that got resized to .243. Don't suppose it would be alot more difficult with a .307. As said, 444 Marlin is a possible, too.

Mike Bellm, for one, will cut a rim recess in a chamber --his work preference is T/C products-- that allows use of either rimmed or rimless case. You can make rimmed .221 out of .357 Max brass, with WORK, for example.

No first hand knowledge of the Blazer, but shouldn't be too different. LUCK.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What if you neck down a 30R Blaser?

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello

This is quite "doable" and another source of brass that is available worldwide is 7x57mm Rimmed. It needs trimmed but is an otherwise one step operation.

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that we appreciate a break open rifle should be chambered for rimmed cartridges.

Sadly, though I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this project.

quote:
I think you would soon fall out of love with forming the brass.

And I agree 100% with SR4759.

The K95 is (as you've already experienced) such a wonderfully accurate rifle in all of it's factory chamberings, why dick around with this (I know- because you want to)?

Plus their rimless extraction system has withstood the Test of Time. Such a high percentage of K95's are factroy chambered for the .308 Winchester because:

1. The barrels are supremely accurate.

2. They extract every time.

3. The recoil level is perfect for these light rifles.

4. The cartridge's attributes are perfect for the gmae taken with this chambering.

Gunsmiths I have spoken to have related that the steel used in K95 & R93 barrels is so hard as to almsot defy working on it and is very hard on the tools involved.

Then you're gonna end up with one barrel w/one rimmed extractor that will only fit with one particular cartridge case of the chambering you've selected becasue when you do all the homework - these cases; although they may appear "equal" all have diffferences in rim thickness & the ensuing headspace.

Additionally, when you use a .308 Winchester case or 307, 356 or .358 Winchester case necked down to .243 Winchester you will most probably end up having to either inside neck ream or turn the outside of the neck for proper clearance.

Don't get me wrong - I share your enthusiam for the K95 and wish I could obtain (& afford) many additional options for it. Just make sure you do the homework before you end spending alot of cash for One-Of barrel with a large Logistical Tail behind it.

Let us know how this pans out.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not use the rimmed .264 Mauser insted of a .243? The former is of course the 6.5x57 mm R factory chambering, for me the ideal caliber for a K95.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi

Use the 243 Musgave is a 303 case necked down to 243 dies are available brass is plenty simple 3084fps with 85grs bullet

Hope that helps

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the way that rimless cases are held onto by the extractor. I am sure it's reliable but it's not for me. I prefer handling a rimmed cartridge. If I can't use a rimmed cartridge in a K95 I'd rather use another rifle.

I'm not particularly concerned about labour for the cases - 100 would last at least 3 seasons - loss from ejection is minimal. I am concerned that I can make brass consistantly from the source (6.5x57R) The rim would have to be cut to take account of the RWS rim dimensions without messing with the headspace of the chamber.

I take the point about the hardness however they are threaded for moderators. I would imagine it will be a once only tool to machine the rim which a competant toolmaker/machinist can make.

DUK I already have a 6.5x57R but it's more than I want for this application (I'd be happy with a 6x50R Scheiring)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just as you can use standard 308 Winchester dies to hand load 307 Winchester brass, you can use standard 243 Win dies to form 307 brass into your perfect 243 rimmed.

You probably will need to inside neck ream after your first firing (because you are necking down), but you can do 100 cases on a Forester reamer in about 20 minutes.

It will be no effort at all to make your cases (since you would have to full length size virgin cases anyway)...it's very doable.

I would purchase at least 250 pieces of brass.
That will last you a lifetime.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to add any overly stupid remarks but have you looked into the 6x70R Norma? Seems like it would perform whatever task you're looking at doing. Would be a simple re-chambering job and you'd have to do that with whatever cartridge you chose.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
DUK I already have a 6.5x57R but it's more than I want for this application (I'd be happy with a 6x50R Scheiring)

If I remember well all 5.6 mm/.22 calibers can be rebored to that caliber.

The 6x70 mm "pencil cartridge" seems to be advisable only for insert barrels

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote