New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Remington 700 SPS won't go into battery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Now I'm on to another problem (scope problem is in another thread). The only 300 Blackout ammo I could find was from Double Tap. 110 gr Barnes TTSX lead free. Much to my dismay, I couldn't get the bolt to go into battery. I 'm hesitant to force stuff with guns. What little pushing I did do, I had to push the round out from the muzzle with a cleaning rod. I've had this rifle a month now and still haven't been able to shoot the thing. I'm beginning to think it must be jinxed. I have some 300 Blackout new brass that finally came in from Hornady and Nosler as I plan to reload, just waiting to get finished with a run of .308 and back from vacation and find powder. The new, empty brass goes into battery. Both the Doubletap and new brass fits as it is suppose to in a Wilson case gauge. I called Doubletap and they suggested maybe the throat was to short. I don't know. This is a Remington #700 SPS Tactical with a threaded barrel. It is not a cheap gun. I bought it especially for shooting suppressed as my stamp is due back anytime.

Rounds load in the magazine OK.

I'm going to stop reloading the .308s. Loosely start a bullet, without powder and primer, and put it in battery and see how much the OAL ends up of the test round. If I'm having this kind of trouble with a 110gr hunting round I'd hate to see what issues arise with a bigger bullet for sub-sonic shooting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Black magic marker will tell you what's holding you open

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deltam,

What Ted posted and consider a chamber cast. The two methods will have you close. A loose bullet in the chamber is not a good idea as an indicator. Seat a chosen bullet long in unprimed brass and Magic Mark it. Go slowly and success is the reward.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Take a Dremel tool and cut off wheel split the neck on an empty case, deburr and full length size. Push a bullet into the case just enough to hold it there. Lube bullet with sizing wax and load and measure. Do this several times to ensure accurate measurement.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, did some tests. I marked the Doubletap bullet that wouldn't go into battery with a magic marker. Before my pushing the OAL was 2.244. After it was 2.230. I was pushing rather aggressively to make sure it was marked and probably slid the bullet back in the case a bit.

The new brass I have for the 300 Blackout doesn't look very robust, more like a .380 than a NATO round. Anyway not significant to the test but a side bit of info.

I picked two of my .308 bullets and new 300 Blackout Nosler brass. One was 150 gr Sierra Spitzer and a 125gr Sierra Match bullet. Both were just started in the brass. I made sure the final push was against the rifling. The 150gr OAL, against the rifling was 2.247. The 125gr was 2.300 against the rifling.

The rifling marks of the Doubletap bullet were on the sides of the bullets.

It seems the sides of the bullets are making contact with the rifling. I had this problem when loading 9mm lead in a Lone Wolf barrel that was set up as a match grade barrel. I'm not a match grade shooter. I just want it to go bang with reasonable accuracy. I'm happy with 1 degree at 100 yards. I wasn't expecting this with a new rifle and new store bought ammo. Not happy.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Since there are SAAMI specs for this round, then the ammo and rifle makers are not in sync as far as chamber and ammo specs go, so you can get an interference fit like you have. You obviously need to seat the bullets deeper, or lengthen the throat. You can research SAAMI data base and see who is at fault. As far as you being happy with one "degree"; I assure you that you won't be happy at all. One degree is 60 inches at 100 yards.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Since there are SAAMI specs for this round, then the ammo and rifle makers are not in sync as far as chamber and ammo specs go, so you can get an interference fit like you have. You obviously need to seat the bullets deeper, or lengthen the throat. You can research SAAMI data base and see who is at fault. As far as you being happy with one "degree"; I assure you that you won't be happy at all. One degree is 60 inches at 100 yards.

Thing is this is a new, un-fired rifle with factory loaded ammo from Doubletap.

I haven't located any rifle powder yet, at least that I have data sheets for. I've got everything else. If I had a starting point, I could chronograph and work up a load but I'm not into guess work. I have a couple rifle powders I think might work but no data for them. Irregardless, I need to be able to shoot common, factory ammo.

I marked the rear end to check and see if the extractor was the issue. I forced the bolt closed. I had to use my plastic hammer to hammer the bolt open. I had rifling marks on the bullet and scuff marks on the case neck (or that part that holds the bullet). I have trouble remembering exact terminology. I'll have to pull up my bullet description chart, AGAIN Big Grin .

I called Remington's tech support. I have the rifle boxed, just waiting for a UPS label. Remington said 3-4 weeks Frowner Oh-well, maybe I can find a powder by then. Just aggravating to have a new gun and this happens.

An issue sending it back, other than time; I have a perfectly good rifle case that my Stag Arms AR came in. The tech guy said most likely I wouldn't get it back Mad. I had to make a box out of scrap cardboard. I live about 20 miles from the nearest drop-off/packaging store. I now need to flag down a UPS truck and give it to them.

I do appreciate the responses. It has helped me troubleshoot this issue.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wish I lived closer; I could look at it for you. I first suspect ammo from small makers; if you are getting marks on the bullet your throat is too short or the bullet is seated too long. Here is all the data you need to determine the problem; the link to the SAAMI specs. I can't copy it.http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Rifle/300%20AAC%20Blackout.pdf

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I found the SAMMI website and will plow through it tomorrow with my calipers. I stand corrected 1 MOA at 100 yds Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

I checked the ammo based on the SAMMI specs you posted. All the critical dimensions are under specs. Seems to be a Remington issue. I'm kind of surprised given their reputation.

I have the rifle boxed up waiting to get the UPS shipping label from Remington. They were supposed to e-mail it Friday afternoon but it was about "beer thirty" when I was talking to them. I plan to get it out Monday.

I did find out a person can take a pre-paid UPS package to the US Post Office for pickup by UPS. Our local postmaster said they could even scan it in and give me a tracking number. This will save me a 28 mile round trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
I had to use my plastic hammer to hammer the bolt open.

I wouldn't try that again with a Remington 700. You could easily end up with the bolt handle lying on the floor. I once had a 700 bolt handle come off in my hand when I was merely cycling the action on an empty chamber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
I had to use my plastic hammer to hammer the bolt open.

I wouldn't try that again with a Remington 700. You could easily end up with the bolt handle lying on the floor. I once had a 700 bolt handle come off in my hand when I was merely cycling the action on an empty chamber.

I didn't do it by choice and only used light taps. The loaded round was not coming out any other way. This new gun could not be sent back to Remington loaded.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G.Hansen:
Your barrel may have a special target chambering for the 308 Win. which are designed for specific target usage and pressure limitations. (No personal experience, just garnered from forums.)

308 Win. (.332 ")

308 Win. (.340")

If that's the case, have it opened-up to the M852 specification.

"The M852 is in a middle ground between SAAMI minimum and the tighter match chambers. It is similar to the SAAMI min. in the body, and a little tighter diameter in the neck and throat. No where near needing neck turning though. The throat is a bit shorter than SAAMI, but unless you want to shoot fat roundnose bullets it won't be a problem."

Just a thought...

Except the OP stated the rifle in question is a 300 Blackout.

He does also mention loading for the "308" (what I take to be the 308 Win) in the same post, and references using a 308 bullet for the 300 Blackout.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct on the 300 Blackout for my problem gun. I was just using the bullets that I am currently loading for my .308 (same diameter as 300 Blackout) and an empty, no primmer 300 Blackout, new case.

Thanks for the response anyway. It is on the way to Remington as of this AM. I'll post what is determined to be the problem when I get it back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
deltam, try back the front scope mount screws out and checking if it will go into battery. A long screw can cause your problem.

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote