Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
Long shot but a friend needs a barrel for his 1924 Norwegian carbine. 6.5 x 55. I understand these use left hand threads.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not a problem to cut LH threads on your lathe. For a new, custom barrel. Finding an original one? Buy a lottery ticket; better odds.

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Tom, I actually told him that you were the guy I’d recommend to do it. I certainly could cut those threads but I’ve retired and no longer have interest nor an FFL. If you’re interested send me your contact information and I’ll pass it on to him.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have no doubt you could thread it!

Posts: 17166 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just something to note, particularly if you do not have an old barrel. The image of the extractor cut shown in the "Bolt Action Rifles" is incorrect.
It is not directly aligned with the bore.
Also, if I remember correctly, the threads are not truly square.
Years ago.
If you have a barrel I believe that some of the barrel makers will duplicate the contour. Still have to find somone to thread/mount sights, etc.
There is a Krag Collectors Association. Possible leads.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the carbine has a barrel now and it is toast, why not consider a re-bore to the Norwegian 8x54 Krag? It would certainly be authentic and preserve the exterior originality.

Posts: 3700 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norwegian barrels are obtainable. Many were sporterized here in the US, so there are some barrels around. I've sold maybe 6 or 8 in the past ~ 15 years.

They are left hand thread, but there are two thread forms. The Steyr made rifles use a ACME thread, the Kongsberg made rifles use a square thread.

As yours is a Kongsberg made rifle, it will have square threads.

The very first "custom" rifle I worked on after going to CST was a Steyr Norwegian Krag. Put a new Shilen barrel on it. Marvelous guns that don't get enough credit.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote