New
Find
Notify
Tools

Commercial Mauser 96 Straight-Pull Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have run across a used Mauser "Model 96" Straight-pull rifle in 30-06. It has a cheap scope on it and the wide barrel channel is badly warped into contact with the barrel on one side. I was told it only had a couple of boxes of ammo through it, but couldn't see any rifling at the crown. The price was $500. To me, this rifle looked over-engineered, but I've never seen one before and was wondering if it is any good and if the price was decent. Might it have polygonal rifling like HKs? I'm told they don't import them anymore. Thanks a lot - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
<rolf>
posted
I don�t know about the polygonal barrel but I have handled a couple of them and I didn�t like them.
The biggest minus is the position of the bolt handle. You need loooong arms to shoot it comfortably.
If I remember correct there was a thing about them in one of the gun magazines over here a while back and they didn�t have anything on the good side to say about them. Besides the the price. Pretty cheap for a straight pull. New in box is around 750$.
Regards/Rolf

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I'd have to recommend that you pass on this one...

Try to work the bolt rapidly without taking the rifle from your shoulder. Can't be done. However, if you think the deal is OK for what a rifle that is (nearly) as slow as a single shot, then go for it.

Also, the rifle has very little primarly extraction power due to the straight pull -- if you are handloader this is important.

Basically, I consider it an over-engineered piece of technology. Hard to beleive that it bears the name of Mauser, the epitome of simplicity and ruggedness in rifles!

jpb

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 02-17-2002).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<CAL9 from planet Fargo>
posted
I seem to recall someone trying to unload a batch of them in various calibers on auction arms a few months ago. Seems to me, the starting price was $375 and they didn't garner many takers.

CAL