New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drilling on a live 50 BMG round?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, so a guy I know approached me about making some 50 BMG rounds inert by removing the powder from them. I have nothing I can pull bullets that big with. I was wondering about making a jig for the drill press, using a sharp bit at low rpm, and just punching a hole (maybe 1/8") in the side of the case to dump the powder. I know that will still leave a live primer, but I don't think that is an issue.

As long as you don't create much heat I really don't see a problem, but thought I should run it by some professionals first. If I am stupid just tell me. I don't have alot of them to do, maybe 10-20.

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 56hawk
posted Hide Post
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Powder is pretty hard to ignite anyway.

posted Hide Post
What about the live primer?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there something I could put in the case and let stand for a few days to make the primer inert? Used to be I would have said oil, but thought I remembered reading something that said that is a false rumor, and oil will not really make one inert. What about that?

Posts: 417 | Location: TX panhandle | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've tried "killing" primers with oil, wd40, water and other stuff. Long story short, some died, some didn't.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him to buy some inert cartridges for about $3 each. Or simply reload a bullet only into some fired cases.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All done, no problem. Simple as pie.