Find
Notify
Tools

Dura-Coat or Gun Kote????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted
Which one is more durable,ie better? Each of their web site say they are the best (of course) and a search on the site gave me mixed review. What's the recent opinion on these two products? I want a matte black finish on my Model 70, I found a gun shop that would do the work for each finish and they both charge the same price. I need some advise?

For the BC guys, J.R.'s Gunsmithing in Tomslake does Dura-Coat and Bits of Pieces in Delta does Gun Kote. Anybody ever dealt with these guys?

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had three gun kote jobs done by Mac's Restarations, one was a redo of a dura-coat done by another finisher here. (I'll give the name in PM). Mac's opinion is Gun Kote is a better product, however, attention to procedures is much more important than the material differences. He's a good guy if you want to call and discuss finishes.

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried duracoat...but I have done several project rifles in GunKote..and I have no reason to try anything else..did try some baking lacquer and other bake on finishes with very mediocre results...

So far the GunKote has proven extremely durable..and rust is a thing of the past...but I certainly agree with easyup that the attention you pay to metal preparation and application will make or break your finish...

Zeeriverrat1

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
According to the Dura Coat web site, you don't need special preps for their finish, just degreasing. The say their finish as some elasticity that helps with chiping around corners and stuff. Gun Kote say that their stuff is slick because of the moly but needs some preps and baking. I don't realy care about how easy it is to apply because I would have the gunsmith do it for me.

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I would send it directly to the people that sell the dura-coat, Lauer Custom Weaponery I think, and let them do it. I had them do one and it's the only one of three I've tried that I liked. I had Pac Nor GK a rifle and it was terrible but I think they are probably more to blame then the product. Before either of those I'd get it blued and do a little preventitive maintance. I've yet to see any coating I really liked, once it starts to chip or scratch off it really looks like hell.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
No experience with the Dura Coat but I have two rifles finished in GunLote that have held up well. The 458 is kind of a safe queen, just gets out to the range a few times a year. The 7x57 gets hunted with 5-6 times a year in all weather and has had no problems.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
I'm in Canada so shipping my rifle in the U.S. is pretty much out of the question (paperwork, money exchange, duty, etc....) I'll have to rely on the gunsmith who will apply the product. My rifles are well taken of but i'm looking for a matte finish and from what i've read Teflon is not very durable. Dura Coat and Gun Kote are the only option I can think of that I can get around here.

posted Hide Post
No doubt about it, Dura Coat.

One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
I've read lots of post that said that Gun Kote chiped at the edges. Maybe Dura Coat is right about their elasticity. So far i'm leaning towards Dura Coat.