Find
Notify
Tools

Slings - Brownells Latigo vs. Competitor plus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All,

Trying to decide on slings - any relative advantages to either of these? I have not typically used a sling as a shooting aid, but I am now thinking of learning to do so.

Latigo quick set sounds like it has interesting features, but then again after 100 years and still in use with the highpower crowd, the US military style might be useful too.

Any thoughts to share?

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TMG

For HiPower Rifle competition the better brands of military style slings are hard to beat.

For hunting rifles I have used Brownells Latigo style slings for many years. They are a little pricey but you get what you pay for. I like the quality of leather, the fast adjustment and the fact that there are no claws or metal hardware to damage the stock in storage or transportation. Also they are very good looking slings which compliment a nice rifle.

After gunsmithing for quite a few years I have seen many nice stocks damaged by the metal hardware on military style slings.

Craftsman

Posts: 1540 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As Craftsman says, and for the reasons he states, the Latigo sling can't be beat for a hunting rifle.

I also have a couple of Vero Vellini slings that have some elastic in them and I like them a lot for heavier rifles.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I am a hunter, not a high power shooter, and these are nice looking rifles so I will go with the Latigo Quick Set sling.

I have an older similar one (not Brownells as far as I can tell) that came on a used rifle and is pretty slick, although not very long and therefore a tight fit to carry the rifle with my thick shoulders; impossible in fact with even a thin jacket. Looks like the Latigo is quite a bit longer - we will see.

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TG,

If you walk alot in the mountains of the west or plains of Africa the Vero Vellini is the best you can buy from a carrying comfort standpoint. They are not great as a shooting brace, but I can tell you I have replaced my Latigo's with the Vero's.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.realguns.com/archives/066.htm
quote:
There are still a few people who don't realize that slings can be used for more than a nice place to have your initials embossed, they can also make a lousy off hand shooter, such as myself, into a pretty steady rifleman. Once you get beyond the experimental stage where you end up with one arm and one leg through the lower loop, and fall over is slow motion, a sling can make the difference between filling a home freezer with meat, and a steady diet of baloney sandwiches.

Brownells Quick-Set Latigo® Sling is probably one of the better slings around, and at a fair price for a piece of real 1 1/4" leather, complete with Super Swivels and swivel studs. There is no metal that will contact the surface of a rifle, and no claw hooks to adjust for length, just a tug on the front loop sets the length and it stays put once a length is selected. The complete setup retails for about $60, a 1" version without the hardware, approximately $10 less. I have these slings on several of my rifles and I've been using them to replace the very attractive, but virtually non-functional in shooting situations, carry slings.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/044.htm
quote:
A quick note on some of the accessories I added to the gun. The Latigo sling is neat, it really is easy to use and makes for a very steady hold while bent into pretzel like positions for sling assisted shooting.

I'm very old, and it took several attempts to retrieve and revive me from the sitting position. Fortunately, the light at the end of a long dark tunnel I saw was only me getting too close to the ocular on the Burris compact scope, and not death brought on by loss of circulation. The Latigo can be purchased from Brownells for a modest price - nice piece of leather.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274981

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote