Notify
Tools

CZ Jams
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted
Hello folks,
I have a new CZ550 in .458WM. The rounds consistently jam against the rear of the barrel. Anyone had this problem? Any advice?
S.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Seq, if tis is a new rifle I would take it back to the CZ dealer and have him load it and see it is not working properly...Let them fix it for free or get them to give you one that works..
If not new get it to a good gunsmith...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Retreever's suggestion.

Question:
Does this happen with every bullet loading or just one particular type?

If this only happens with reloads sometimes you need to adjust your bullet seating depth a little.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If using flat point bullets, it could be part of the problem.

Maybe they ground the rails for a Lott instead of the 458?

Send it to CZ, with a detailed description of the ammo that is failing to feed.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting back to me. It took me awhile to find my post - someone moved it here. I've pretty much decided to send the rifle back to CZ (as suggested), but it's worth pursuing a little further here.
When I first looked into the chamber to investigate, it looked like the rounds (Conley) were way too short for the magazine so I pulled out some factory rounds and they were a full 3/8ths of an inch longer!! This just doesn't seem right. Any comments about this? The longer factory rounds jammed also, maybe not quite as often.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do the different rounds contain different bullet weights?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6643 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seq:
Hello folks,
I have a new CZ550 in .458WM. The rounds consistently jam against the rear of the barrel. Anyone had this problem? Any advice?
S.

Need a little more info please. How close to the chamber mouth do they hit? Do they hit high, low, right or left? Does this only happen on the first round, the second or all?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seq,
That's an extremely common problem with the CZs in 458WM and I've even seen one in 375H&H do the same. In my CZ the main problem was with the factory Winchester 510gr soft with large exposed lead nose. It nearly always caught entering the chamber. From both left and right side of the magazine, lead would be shaved off, but it usually jammed proper from the left side. If you watch a round entering slowly, at the last minute they seem to jerk upwards a tad causing the nose to catch.The Woodleigh 480gr fed smoother due to having less exposed lead (but marks were left on the jacket), and you can also seat the projectiles long to alleviate, but not rectify the problem. I paid a 'smith to clean up the feeding on mine after the Australian agent failed to repair it under warranty twice. I also rechambered to 458Lott at the same time. The factory test target supplied with the CZ's are shot (I believe) using solid ammunition which will feed as there is no soft portion to catch. That way they can ship them "functioning properly". It's an easily fixed problem which annecdotally effects maybe 50% or more of 602s and 550s.
Cheers...
Con
PS: Also had the same issues with a Zastava 458WM. Getting a rifle to feed a near cylindrical case with a projectile as wide as the case is aknown issue. Best to pay a good 'smith to fix it right.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote