THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Stock repair : who would you recommend?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an original pre-war commercial Mauser 98 (Mannlicher stock) carbine. It was acquired with a repaired cracked/broken pistol grip.

The previous owner, back in the 1940's, said the carbine was dropped, and resulted in a completely broken (clean break, 2 pieces) wrist area. Back then, he Elmer glued it, and whipped it with some fine cord, then varnished it when dried.

I recently looked at it, and noticed the Elmer's glue evidently has ceased its bonding. I now have a wobbly stocked carbine stock which is still whipped and varnished. It needs help.

I'd like to properly repair it. Can anyone recommend a competent stock repair person? Any idea on estimated cost?

I live in Maine, USA.

Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Posts: 624 | Location: Maine, ayuh | Registered: 06 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Fulton

http://www.stockfixrs.com/repair_methods.htm

have done Shelhamer Krag, Griffin & Howe High Wall recently for me, others in the past, first class work reasonable price timely delivery. Did a Howe (not G&H) Mauser for Mike Petrov at my recommendation, busted right through the grip, nicely fixed. Say Mark Benenson sent you.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David Travallion is in Maine and he is very, very good. If you google him you can get his contact info

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote