Find
Notify
Tools

Need a stock for an old Browning Auto 5 20 gauge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
My duck hunting buddy brought over a Browning auto 5 20 gauge. It is a family heirloom that he wants to get back into circulation. It has a broken forend on the left-hand side. See pictures below.

Three questions:

1) If this were your rig, would you leave it as is or try to get some new/used furniture for it? If you would get furniture, where would you suggest he start looking?

2) I know the pictures don't show much, but he is curious what it is worth. I have no idea. What do you think? A range? He doesn't plan to sell it, just a curiosity thing.

3) How common is the rolled non-reflective pattern on top of the barrel?

Thanks for your opinions.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get new wood for the forend, and leave the rest as is. As far as value goes, $450-$650, +/-. A neat old gun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about repairing it? Not terribly difficult to splice in the missing wood.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty rough. In my parts, if it was on a gunshow table priced at $350 it'd probably sit.

That matte top of the rib was the cheapest option. It's pretty common and not as desirable compared to solid or vent ribs.

Posts: 1349 | Location: South Puget Sound, WA | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art's Gunshop, Midwest Gunworks, Ebay, Gunbroker will all have forearm's. Pretty easy to get.
Looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet.
It will also last for about the next hundred years.
Unless it's special, like maybe a first year model they don't go for much. I just bought a first year (1958) for $1400.00, so they are worth something.
Shot the heck out of it.
If you go to Shotgun World and go to the Browning forum, you will be able to read about the A5 till your eyes bleed.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too would just splice a dutchman into the missing area of the stock. You said something about the 'furniture', but I don't see any. (The stock is not 'furniture'. The stuff attached to it is, ie: buttplate, sling swivels, escutcheons, barrel bands, etc. The stock is, well, a stock.)

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all of your replies and advice. And GNOahhh, Thanks for the little bit of education. I guess I never understood the terminology.

I'll pass on all of your thoughts to my buddy. Thanks again.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new Browning wood for an auto-5 costs more than most of them are worth, and if you find a used set remember that most forends are split so you need to repair that before use. Boyds wood is usable but not the best looking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used are not very easy to find in good shape. I have been casually looking for a pre war 16 guage for a while now.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote