THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best wet weather finish for wood stock...
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
Suggestions? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After reading some advice from a gunsmith in Alaska, I've been experimenting with a Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer (CPES) that I bought from Japan Woodworker, and then using Tung Oil as the top finish. I really like how it turned out and the epoxy sealer sped up grain filling with the Oil finish. I'm looking forward to hunting the rifle this year to see how it holds up.
The main idea is that to seal wood you need something that dries by catalyzation instead of evaporation. To evaporate solvents need pores to evaporate out of and water can seep back into the same pores. At least that's the theory.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Duane Wiebe uses Ship N Shore brand SeaFin finish and sealer, and they work great. They are made for boats, but work great for guns.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

After living and hunting in Alaska for 30 years I'm here to tell you that NO OIL FINISH OF ANY KIND will seal your stock. Only a tough epoxy, both inside and out will work. I've never seen a Remington 700 finish defeated by moisture unless it was scratched or bruised. That's the kind of finish you are looking for. JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I was pointed in the SeaFin direction by ForrestB as Duane uses it on his rifles. I love how it turned out and it has held up well. 2 years ago Forrest and I hunted in some nasty rain and snow and his SeaFin finished stock took on Mother nature like a champ and came out just fine. I highly reccomend it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SeaFin, as well as ProFin (what I use) are made by Daly's of Seattle and are true exterior finishes.
While I haven't used any, I'm hesitant to go to epoxy believing that wood is supposed to expand and contract, I just want to slow it down to the minimum.
So far, I've been very pleased with Daly products.
As stated about Remington finishes (I hate to admit) the best protection is offered by a built-up finish, one that completely fills the pores and has some surface build-up to repell moisture.
Also, be sure to seal the butt end and all of the inletting!

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1825 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I heard lots of good about the Daly finishes. Their Ben Matte finish is also highly recommended.

On the Sea Fin, do you do an initial soaker coat? Or just successive light coats? How long to dry between coats?

thx.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a good spar varnish from a marine supplies store...took the action out and gave it 2 good coats. No problems with swelling or anything to date. Rifle is a CZ 9.3 x 62.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote