New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chambering a Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone chambered a Remington 700 in 22 Hornet and how did you do it? This one is a bit different due to the rimmed cartridge.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
WHOA NOW THERE LITTLE BUCKAROO !

That there is generally classed as a YABUT conversion.

Can it be done? Sure anything can be done. Should it be done? Well. The problem is that the bolt face depth,(the one in the picture) is .156. The case web thickness (the one in the picture) is .171. Assuming you leave .010 inch between the bolt face and the chamber face and subtract .002 inch for crush, that leaves you a gap of .008 which is added to the bolt depth measurement which brings you to .164 inch. Add in the feed radius of about .004 inch and that will bring you to .168. If you see where I'm going with this you are left with .003 inch of enclosed web. Bare in mind that web thicknesses in the Hornet case vary A LOT, from manufacturer to manufacturer and the Remington bolt face depth can vary too. Winchester got away with it in the model 70 because the claw extractor and extractor cut allowed them to seat the case deeper into the chamber. Such is not the case with the 700.

It can be done and I have no doubt that it has been done, but govern yourself accordingly.

ADD NOTE: There is that little matter of getting a cartridge that short, to eject using a piston ejector, in an action who's internal diameter is that large. The neck would probably clear the chamber mouth and flip to the right and the ejector would max out, lose tension and the case would fall straight down. Winchester used a mechanical ejector to solve that problem. If memory serves.

rem hornet by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to much work - and no it wasn't me asking him to do it wave

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a used Anschutz 22H and you will be money ahead and have a reliable gun.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a bolt action hornet I'd suggest a CZ 527. If you want something converted, I think one of the howa mini action rifles would work better as a donor. R700 is way overkill and the end result would not be very desirable imo...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Has anyone chambered a Remington 700 in 22 Hornet and how did you do it? This one is a bit different due to the rimmed cartridge.

You really are a bad person Jim. I have been turning this over in my little pea brain all day. I would solder a ring in the bolt face and solder a plug into the ejector port. Then I would cut the bolt nose extension back to give about .090 depth and make it fit the diameter of the Hornet rim quit close I would then cut a slot in the bolt and install a pre-64 Winchester 70 type ejector. Then I would install a Sako type extractor.The extractor would protrude ahead of the bolt a bit so the barrel would have to have a positive cone face to allow for extractor clearance. The same as on the small Sako Browning rifles.

I can do a lot of funky stuff when I put my mind to it. But at least in my mind, I can't make it feed in that big sloppy action without some measure of controlled round feed. And right about then I feel the need to put some oil in my slotter and just build a small action.

coffee

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hit the old nail right on the head! The problem is, the new PTG bolt is cut for a Sako extractor already and to shorten the nose of the bolt as I thought, would really compromise the extractor install. The way it is now would not allow the case to headspace on the rim, like Speer said, too much case sticking out.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I built a .30-30 on a Mauser by leaving a raised ring on the breach face same diameter as the case rim with a notch in it for the extractor, but seeing as the Sako-type extractor rotates with the bolt about half the ring wound have to be removed. Might work for the Hornet.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
You hit the old nail right on the head! The problem is, the new PTG bolt is cut for a Sako extractor already and to shorten the nose of the bolt as I thought, would really compromise the extractor install. The way it is now would not allow the case to headspace on the rim, like Speer said, too much case sticking out.

Yeah, if its cut for the extractor already you would have to make an entirely new extractor or sit down and do the math and see if one of the variants would work. Cheaper to buy a new bolt and start from scratch. But you're still not going to make a repeater out of it. That part still doesn't work in my little twisted brain. Even feeding it as a single shot would be an exorcise in futility and the skonks and gophers would be laughing their asses off at you !

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a K Hornet.
Fire form in another gun, a contender would be the least expensive, then headspace off the shoulder to match this brass.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity Duane. I assume that you chopped the receiver in half, took out 3/4 of an inch out and then just welded up the rails then put it in the mill and cut/welded/tested cut/welded/tested cut/welded/tested cut/welded/tested for a couple of days until it accidentally started to feed.
What I always wanted to try, was converting one to take the Anschutz 5 round magazines. It would mean cutting a couple of grooves down the lower of the bolt to pick up the rounds properly and you would have to put the bolt in the rotary or dividing head and cut a space or bald spot out of the bolt body to allow the bolt to rotate without ripping off the mag lips. I have contemplated this many times and after battling it out with the many gremlins in my head, it SHOULD WORK. Have you ever attempted such silliness? It should work slicker than fresh catshit on a linoleum floor.

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Solder a flat plate onto the breech face and lengthen the firing pin to match. That would push the rim out to meet the extractor and give the brass more barrel support as well.. Make it a ring with a bottom and solder it in the bolt face; maybe bore the existing bolt recess out some to give a thicker outer ring.

Actually the bolt face X Axis measurement would be fine with the extractor the way it is dpcd. Except the rim is .011 thicker on the Hornet so you would have to skim that amount off the claw which is no problem. The problem is that you would have to DEEPEN the slot to bring the extractor farther down into the bolt body to catch the smaller diameter case. This would also screw up your extractor plunger hole location. You would have to plug the hole, and then redrill the hole below the old one. I have horrible visions of drills walking this way and that and you cant get a carbide slot mill that small. It could be done but the risk and pain in the ass factor is getting up to ludicrous levels. LOL

faint

Rod Henrickson

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Kinda like the customer who wanted his CZ527 in 221 Fireball rebarreled to the 22 TCM. Roll Eyes If you have the money I have the time,

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the same Boat been trying to find a NICE bolt action in 218 Mashburn Bee without any luck thought it might be possible to use a Savage PPC bolt head and use that action.

Jim

"Today is the 1st Day, of the Rest of Your Life"

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber actually made the model 82 in 218 Mashburn. Very nice little guns. Downside is that people don't tend to give them away.

coffee

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I just had to have a 700 Hornet I think I might start with a 40x in .22lr. Overall it might be less work??
C.G.B.