Find
Notify
Tools

Kerry Stottlemyer(kcstott) custom peep sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I fianally got around to bluing and mounting one of the the peep sights that kcstott built for me.

Needless to say I am very pleased. Kerry took an idea that I had been refining for years and turned it into a beautiful, and most importantly, functional part. It is made of 4130 and is as close to bulletproof as any sight could be.

I'll be interested to hear what you all think.

Most of these sights were made long enough to cover the lenght of the rear bridge with room for custom contouring. This was a shorter one that I mounted on a JC Higgins test mule:

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
how did you determine how tall it should be???...... it doesnt look adjutsable...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Jason calculated it out and his front sight is adjustable.

Typically when mounting iron sights you just make them level with the bore center line then adjust from there. And in this case it would be a front sight adjustment only with windage in the rear sight.

Jason they look better then I could have imagined. BTW I stole these for my web sight

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry does wonderful work. He built the custom scope bases for my custom 40X rimfire.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
how did you determine how tall it should be???...... it doesnt look adjutsable...

You are correct, the rear sight is only adjustable for windage.

My idea is to adjust elevation in the front sight either by using an adjustable front sight(like the ones made by NECG) or by filing a non adjustable post type front sight.

For the 8 sights that I had Kerry build I determined the height I wanted by looking at the height of the NECG Masterpiece banded front sight ramp with one of their lower height sight blades(+-.995 above bore center line, IIRC) then I had this peep sight built about 4moa taller(assuming a 25" sight radius).

On this first rifle it worked out very well.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I really like these. Simple, elegant and very strong! Great stuff!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11245 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I really like these. Simple, elegant and very strong! Great stuff!

Thanks for the kind words.

I noticed that you mentioned elegant. The base/peep sight on this commercial action is actually one of the short models that I had made for M98 rear bridge with the charger hump intact. My idea was to use this shorter base and clearance it to fit up against the charger hump. This would position the base similar to the original square bridge actions.

The bases that I had made for the commercial actions is longer to allow the base to cover the length of the rear bridge and allow for custom shaping of the front and rear of the base.

I'm not sure why I decided to put one of these M98 bases on this commercial action, but I believe I originally just wanted to take it out and test it for the weekend and before I knew it I was rust bluing it.

Anyway, my point is that the correct bases one the correct actions should be really elegant.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Jason
I'm just glad everything came out as close to your expectation as possible. Not to bad for 400 miles of separation. And Nice to see your projects coming along.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I like it. Nice and simple, snag proof, and rugged. Looks to be great for a one load rifle.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote